Over speed indicator?

Many US cars from the 1960's had a buzzer that you could set for any speed. Go over that speed and the buzzer would go off. It looks like no US made cars have that now.

Anyone know of an aftermarket one?

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

Yes, there are a few on every highway and town in the US of A. If you see flashing red and blue lights in your rear view mirror then you know it went off.

Reply to
AD

I dont believe I have ever seen one from the factory, but googling I found a Cadillac forum that discussed them. I also googled for an aftermarket one, but so far no luck.

It could be easy enough to "home brew", if one really wanted to do this.

Reply to
hls

They were on some domestics (Mustang and Camaro from 65-68 IIRC)

Actually popular in Europe. There are a couple units that use GPS out there.

Reply to
Steve W.

No, but if you activate the "My Key" function in my Ford Focus the car won't go over 80 MPH ;-)

Reply to
J.B. Wood

Why isn't this a standard feature of every GPS targeting the automobile market?

Reply to
Jack Myers

No one I ever knew wanted one of the things. I personally dont want any more alarms in the car than are already there. Just more junk to go bad.

Reply to
hls

Not American but my VW has this. I don't use it. I had the mykey thing on a rental once and felt unsafe.

Reply to
MG

The recent GTO and G8 had it, but they were not really US cars.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

my handheld gps has one. Problem is the difficulty of setting it. Not a problem for a long trip, but messy when speed limits change often.

I gave some thought to writing a program that would beep at the limit, but allow you to reset it to the current speed with one button...like cruise control. Even that was too complicated for my small motorcycle.

Reply to
mike

am i retarded or is stating the obvious just too frightening? i mean, haven't y'all ever considered the possibility of glancing down at the gauges? i mean, why the FUCK do manufacturers waste money installing them if y'all never bother to look at them?????????

Reply to
jim beam

Beeper, really?

When you hear that valve tap noise you're past redline. Back off a bit.

Reply to
AMuzi

because there is cruise control already for long highway slogs

Bingo! And we have a winner here

Reply to
AD

My GPS (Tom Tom Go 730)gives an audible warning when I exceed the speed limit by 6kph. Currently it's set to give a loud Mooo sound but I have a choice of about 10 or 15 others. The GPS detects the changing speed limits (50, 70 & 100kph) and automatically adjusts for urban or open highway.

It also has another independent speed alarm which I can set to any speed I choose.

Reply to
bugalugs

When I get to the speed limit I just tap the cruise control. Keeps me and those stacking up behind me from getting speeding tickets. They appreciate it so much they often thank me by waving or flashing their lights.

Reply to
Mr. Austerity

The cruise control in a 68 Caddy I had was different then how they work today. It allowed you to do the normal cruise thing at a set speed and the car would take over the throttle. Or you could set the speed in it but not have it run the throttle but run it yourself. The difference was that with the second way the servo tracked the throttle position and speed and if you tried to give the car more gas then was needed for the set speed it started to push back against you, you could easily feel that it suddenly became harder to push on the gas pedal. The faster you went over the set speed the harder it pushed back. It used all rods and levers, no cables. It was great for heavy traffic where you didn't want the car to control it's own speed but still wanted to make sure you didn't go over some particular speed.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

My Garmin doesn't have an alarm but it does track your speed and if you go over the speed limit in it's data base the speed display changes color (green => red)

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Nice! Thats the scenario. Heavy traffic, everyone speeding, and 17 different police forces over every hill with laser raking in the cash. I try not to get caught up in it all but sometimes find myself steadily increasing speed.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

I just remembered another device that might still be around. It was a small GPS/database hockey device for about $100 at Fry's electronics. It's purpose was to alert you to known photo radar spots. It also could be set to give an alarm if you went over a speed you could input. They don't seem to have the one I bought but do have this, which looks similar and costs less.

Ashton Crusher

Thanks! The Fry's on the southwest side of town has one. Will have to research it first though.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX