parts for 2001 f-150

I hit passenger mirror backing out of garage, the mirror popped out of assembly. this is power mirror by the way...so anyway took it to ford dealer today....225.00 for new mirror and nearly 100.00 to install. I just know there has to be a cheaper way of fixing this dam thing. Can some one tell me where to buy online? I know the inside door panel has to come off to remove bolts, how dificult is this to do? any special tools required? TOA

Reply to
dwessex

I've seen this happen before, but I never saw anyone find a cheap source of these OEM parts. If you have a friend in a dealership, cry on him.

You COULD be lucky enough to find one at a junkyard. Online sites like

could be a place to start.

If it were mine, I might try to mount a universal mirror from a FLAPS or suchlike, and dump the adjustable feature. If I were really proud of the truck, I would take it in and let a qualified mechanic mount the Ford part.

Taking the door panel off is no big deal. On most of them you remove some bolts around the armrest, remove handles if any, and pry the panel out of the door (gently) On some cars there are tools that can help you get the handles off. GM is what I have used them on. My Dodge didnt need them. Dont know about Ford

Go gently and dont break anything anymore than you have to.

$0.02

Reply to
hls

I filled one with windscreen urethane. I thought the mirror wouldn't swivel anymore but surprisingly, it did.

Reply to
Bret

is this a waste of money

rockauto dorman power mirror for 50.79

Reply to
dwessex

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news:ytmdndPlJOh-JnjRnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

You want a lousy-quality Chinese ripoff, or you want to phone around to wrecking yards (sorry, "auto recyclers") in your area in the hopes of finding a genuine OEM replacement?

The wrecker's price is likely to be very similar to the Chinese ripoff.

Reply to
Tegger

If you only need the glass and did not damage the rest, the auto glass companies here replace just the glass very reasonable. Check with those companies in your town. ww

Reply to
WW

Hmmm that's below my store's cost.. How the hell can they sell it for so low?? Must not be a true dorman part.

Best price I can sell it is for $105 dorman part # 955-280

Reply to
m6onz5a

m6onz5a wrote in news:09e87b7b-2a4d-4b9d-92e8- snipped-for-privacy@r32g2000vbc.googlegroups.com:

Imagine that. A knockoff of a Chinese knockoff. Must be abysmal quality.

Reply to
Tegger

Thank you for advise....I will start checking junkyards for mirror. Have one other related issue I would like some advise on.....Having a problem with power door lock on same door, and since I will have to remove door panel to fix mirror, may as well address this problem too... The power door lock will lock when I push lock button, but will not open....will move a little when I push open button but will not pop up completely.....the only way to open right now is manually with the key or with door handle from inside.....how do I fix this problem?

Reply to
dwessex

Try Ebay. When the power mirror on my daughter's Mitsu got tagged by some a-hole who drove away, I found one there from a guy who was parting out a wreck for about $25 IIRC. Spray painted it to match and it looks fine. Dealer wanted $400+. I just replaced the non-power passenger mirror on my '04 Chevy express van two weeks ago. Got it from GMPartsDirect.com. OEM mirror was $87 to my door. Install took me 10 minutes. Google "OEM Ford parts online" for more resources and pick up a repair manual to show you how to do the work and you should be good to go.

Reply to
DFBonnett

If it's like my 99 Mustang you take the door panel off, remove the old lock motor and stick the new one into it's place. Mine just snapped in and out of the "holder" so to speak, there were no nuts or bolts holding it in place, just the plastic "snaps". It's hard to describe, you'll need a flashlight and mirror most likely to see what's what with the mounting. If it's like my 88 mustang, you have to drill out a rivet in the end of the door to detach the lock motor and then unhook it from the rod.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher