Plain key sticks in lock? Starting the car without a chip?

I got a key made for my car at Home Depot and the guy who made them insisted that, since the key had no chip, t the ignition lock could grab the key and not let it out. Any truth to that for some cars?

He also said the door could do the same thing? Any truth to that?

Mostly I wanted a cheap key to open the doors and the turnk if I lock my keys inside** but 3 years ago I lost 3 keys in one year, and if I do that again, I keep thinking that I could defeat the "immobilizer" that requires the key with the chip? Any chance of that?

The shop manual isn't much help. It shows 3 wires to the engine computer (from the chip amplifier), and seems to imply the voltage on one or more has a certain wave shape.

Thanks

**I did lock my keys inside my trunk once, when partially changing clothes before going tubing. Had to ask a girl to drive me 20 miles home and 20 miles back for spare keys.
Reply to
micky

No to both.

Reply to
willameena

Nope. Unless the key is cut wrong and gets jammed on a tumbler.

Depends on the car and which system it has. Many of the early (up to about 2000 or so) systems used a simple resistor in the key and those could be bypassed. Many of the new units use an RF chip in the key that gets read by the ECM through an antenna in the ignition switch. Those cannot be defeated easily without making the vehicle VERY easy to steal.

What Year/Make/Model/Trans?

Reply to
Steve W.

Thanks. And thanks Willameena.

Yeah, I think I have the chip. I had in the back of my mind that if the remote starters don't need a chip, than I can do whatever they do. But it turns out, you have to provide a spare key for the remote starter, and I guess the "bypass" is a second antenna witha second chip amplifier. It's not cold enough where I live to have a remote starter, but I could get the same effect as carrying a remote starter fob by carrying a non-chip door or trunk key and hiding a chip key deep in the car somewhere.

2000 Toyota Solara, not sure of the transmission.
Reply to
micky