Pointiac Cutting out after running awhile

Grand AM 3.4

Today I was going down the highway and the engine cut out completely sidelining me along the highway. I was about to call for a tow when about 15 minutes later the engine finally started. To avoid the bridge to get home I took the long way accross town and no problems even in stop and go traffic until I got on another HW accrross town and after a few minutes it cut out again. This time it wouldn't start and the car had to be towed home.

The tow was about 50 miles and now with the car in the driveway I'm able to start it again but I'm afraid this is going to happen again.

I'm suspecting the I-module but this same thing happened with a Beretta many years ago I replaced it and that appeared not to be the problem. On that same Beretta I also replaced the Map, crank sensor and a few other things and it still happened.

Now I'm worried I've got the same problem never knowing when or where this thing is going to cut out. One thing is for sure, it NEVER happens on anything less than operating temp +, so some electronic component is overheating

and not operating properly. Still seems like the I-mod to me though.

Where do I start on this one?

Thanks

MB

Reply to
mab992

Normally I would say check for vapor locking, but this is un-usual. It might be caused from poor fuel pressure caused by constant higher RPM's. Just a guess though.

Reply to
speedy4u23

check fuel filter and fuel pressure.

This can be a major pain to diagnose if it occurs intermittantly.

Reply to
marks542004

I've had the exact same thing happen on my Grand Am twice.

Replace the fule filter and see if it happens aga> Grand AM 3.4

Reply to
Jon C

Thanks for the replys,

Speedy, Vapor lock on an fuel injected car?? Didn't think that was possible. Where would you check?

John C ---What year was your Grand Am and did the fuel filter fix the problem?

Thanks

MB

Reply to
mab992

Can you get the codes scanned to see what is stored in the comp?

Reply to
NickySantoro

Not showing any codes per se, but I'm going to hook it up to autotap to see if there are any pending.

Are there any other parameters I can check while hooked up to autotap?

Thanks

MB

Reply to
mab992

My guess, and at this point just a guess and not a diagnosis, would be a faulty crankshaft position sensor.

*fingers-crossed* Dennis
Reply to
veinless

I have heard of some Ford Taurus's with fuel injection having vapor lock, but it usually happens when driving in the city during stop and go traffic too. That's why I only mentioned it.

Reply to
speedy4u23

Ok, I think some of those Fords also had the fuel pump under the hood or on the firewall which would have made them "draw" type pumps rather than in tank "push" types.

I don't really think this is fuel system related, I think it's igntion related. I'm now wondering if there isn't something wrong with the ignition switch whereby it's intermittently cutting off the fuel pump sort of like in "pass lock" mode.

MB

Reply to
mab992

Mine is a 98, 2.4L.

It would cut out occasionally on acceleration, particularly on the highway, and in a short amount of time progressed to the engine simply dying randomly then working again later. Two shops couldn't reproduce it so they said they couldn't diagnose it.

It worked the first time, and the second time the shop insisted on doing a complete diagnostic and found nothing. I told them to go ahead and replace the fuel filter and that fixed it again.

It's a $10 part that probably needs replacing anyway, so it can't hurt. Will take you 15 minutes to replace, but you might need the $8 tool from Autozone to get the old one off. Unplugged the power from the fuel pump (it was the only bundle of wires going into the rear of the tank on my car), started the car and let it run til it died, then just unscrewed the thing and put a new one in. About a cup of fuel leaked out and onto my hands but it was no big deal.

Reply to
Jon C

I just replaced the filter about 35K miles ago. My car has a huge fuel filter. It just doesn't seem that this would be the problem given what is happening. I gues it's possible but how many miles ago was that that you had that done?

Thanks

MB

Reply to
mab992

The second time happened about 20k after the first one. I've replaced it every 20k since.

I figure it's entirely possible that the gas station I frequented just had dirty gas or something. I've used another gas station since.

Reply to
Jon C

Thanks Jon,

I picked up a filter at Advance and tomorrow I'm going to put it on. Certainly worth a try as this paticular problem was really a P.I.T.A. with the Beretta years ago and I never solved it. I just kept replacing parts and eventually traded it in on the 2K GA I've got now.

It's entirely possible that it's also the filter media that deteriorates impeding flow. If you've ever seen the little membrane that prefilters fuel to the pump in the gas tank it would be hard to believe that much sediment would even make it to the fuel filter.

Anyway tomorrow the new filter goes on and we'll see.

Thanks

MB

Reply to
mab992