Windows sync

Any ideas on why a car would loose the windows sync?

My 2006 Mustang seems to loose the sync on the windows every couple of weeks. (Less than onces a month, usually) No big deal, just put the window all the way down and hold the button for a couple of seconds, then put it up the whole way and again hold the button for a couple of seconds. Then the 'auto' up and down function work fine.

Loosing the 'auto' function until I resync isn't too bad, but it's a convertible, and when it looses sync, it won't automatically put the window up that last inch when I get in the car. (Convertibles lower the window about 1" when you touch the door handle.) It's a pain in the winter (or if it's a rainstorm) and I have to resync.

Any ideas?

Reply to
Mike Y

Just a comment, but i've never heard of window "Sync" on any cars. I could be wrong. Isn't there a separate switch for each window? Those window motors are each a separate motor, so I cant see how any of them could be synced, other than just by coincidense. If they are all the way UP, they should all come down at about the same pace if all switches are held at the same time (or vice versa). Curious, do you have a "master" switch for all the windows?

Sorry I cant be of much help, but wanted to comment on this.

Reply to
jw5

The car has 'auto up' and 'auto down' for both front windows. Then the rear windows have a single manual switch but it does do an 'auto down' whenever you touch the convertible top.

The problem is that whenevey you touch the door to open it, the window goes down about 1" for that door. Then goes up automatically after the door is shut. Fine, getting in the car you can manually just hit the up. But getting OUT of the car in the winter or bad weather, it won't go back up that last inch automatically when the window looses sync. Not good when you get out of the car in a storm. Or at the mall and you want to lock it up.

Reply to
Mike Y

This sounds like a royal pain in the ass. Sometimes in winter the windows freeze. how can the door then be opened? I'm no fan of power windows anyhow. Give me an old fashioned hand crank. Power windows are very costly to repair, and often lack the power to open and close when they are frozen. Granted, sometimes the crank windows wont open in winter, but you can apply more leverage with a hand crank.

According to what was said here, if the window motor fails, the window is froezen. or the battery dies, you can not get in or out of the car. To that, I can only ask what kind of morons design these vehicles, and how they are allowed to create a safety hazzard like this?

The old Mustangs were awesome cars, but I see the new breed are (like most cars in the last decade), full of unneeded luxury junk and are death traps.

Reply to
jw5

It does not prevent you from opening and closing the door, it simply rubs on the edge a bit. Born, raised and still living in Boston, been thru many a winter with my 07 GT 'Vert and the windows have never once frozen shut. My wife drives a Tahoe and that sucker gets frozen up fairly often.

To the OP. You should try to "de-initialize" the window to clear the old memory before doing the relearning procedure. I've personally never gotten it where the window doesn't drop down, mine occasionally (once every 6mo or so) seem to go down with too much force which causes it to bang a bit and that gets fixed with the relearning.

DE-INITIALIZATION PROCEDURE

De-initialization (un-learning) of the smart window motor clears the memory of the module and shuts off the One-Touch UP, Bounce Back and Short Drop functions. The smart window motors can be de-initialized in two (2) different ways: Disconnect the battery cable from the battery WHILE THE WINDOW IS MOVING. Remove the window motor fuse from the Power Distribution Box WHILE THE WINDOW IS MOVING. After performing one of the above procedures, the smart motor must be re-initialized, see Initialization Procedure. INITIALIZATION PROCEDURE

INITIALIZATION MUST BE PERFORMED WITH THE DOOR CLOSED! (For convertibles, top and the quarter glass must be in the up / closed position.) From the window switch, perform the following steps without stopping: Operate the window UP and stall for 2 seconds. (Hold The Switch) Operate the window DOWN and stall for 2 seconds. (Hold The Switch) The smart window motor will be initialized and one-touch-UP and Short Drop will be operational. Cycle the window glass an additional five (5) times to set the window "Soft Stop" for the down position. TIP - VOLTAGE RANGE OF OPERATION: 9-16 VOLTS (AT THE MOTOR)

The smart motor will ONLY function in the 9-16 volt range; if the voltage at the smart motor drops below 9 volts, the window may not function properly or prematurely stop moving If the voltage drops below 9 volts while the motor is moving, the motor will become de-initialized (one-touch UP and Short Drop will be inoperable) If the motor becomes de-initialized due to low voltage, see initialization procedure. for instructions

Reply to
Brian V

Come on, are you serious? My 2006 blows away any of my 60's Mustangs. In ALL respects. And the sytle is right on. Different, but still right on. As to safety, it's not even close.

Sure, I'd LOVE to have my old 68 Mustang back. It was a rare one, actually built with bench seats and 6 sets of seatbelts. But I'm under no illusions...

Reply to
Mike Y

I wonder if maybe your battery in on the way out. My 06 Fusion started having some wierd symptoms related to the electronics (mostly ABS light coming on at random times). I couldn't figure out what was going on. In the newsgroup someone said a bad battery would cause this. I thought they were nuts becasue the car had been starting without a jump. However, I decinded maybe the car was cranking more slowly than in the past, so I bit the bullet and repalced the battery. The weird electronic stuff cleared right up....

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

My 99 Mustang GT always started on the first revolution. Then it didn't but took several revolutions to start. Other then that everything seemed fine. Took it to the dealer and they replaced cam sensor. Didn't fix it. Took it back and they replaced the cam sensor again and some other sensor. Still didn't fix it. Took it in a third time and when I got it back they said they were sure they got it this time - they replaced the alternator. Apparently whatever the issue was with the alternator had cased the problem. It was still charging the battery fine, no warning lights were on. But sure enough, it did fix the starting problem

Reply to
Ashton Crusher