2011 Sonata SE drivers power window problem

I lease a 2011 Sonata SE that has just under 10,000 miles on it. The drivers side power window intermittently jams. I press the "auto" button and release it, and the window go up or down about half way and just stops. I don't hear the window motor grinding. If I re-press the button in the direction that the window was going, nothing happens. I have to press the button in the OPPOSITE direction to make it move. This started about a few months ago and got progressively more frequent, so I took the car back to the dealer in early November, and they said that the window motor was overheating, which caused it to stop. They replaced the motor for that window. Today, only four weeks later, it did the same thing again. I'm going to take it back to the dealer AGAIN (aggravation!!!), but I'm curious whether anybody has any guesses about what else could wrong that the dealer is not addressing. Thanks.

Reply to
Fantine

(In a nutshell, wiring.

Reply to
Irwell

Something is binding in the window mechanism.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

You need a better mechanic. Motors do overheat and can stop, but they don't usually have that happen until it is run for a while to heat up. Not the 10 seconds it takes to move a window.

The system has two auto stops, one full up, the other full down. I recall reading instructions on how to "program" the window if it gets out of kilter. My guess is either the window mechanism is binding, or, the sensor that says the window is all the way up is sensing incorrectly. Since you have to press the button in the opposite direction, my WAG is that the window thinks it is already in proper position.

Talk to the service manager, not the writer. If he has a sense of logic in his brain he will listen to your theory and either follow it or give a sound reason it is not the culprit. At least it will get him thinking.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Reply to
John

That makes complete sense and would explain why the window won't respond to the "up" command. I will definitely talk to the service manager. I seems to me that they don't bother thinking about the problem, but take the easy way out ("oh, just change the window motor").

The service at this dealership has completely gone downhill in the last few years. They give me free coupons for oil changes, but the the last time I went, the car leaked oil and I had to go back. Explanation: a nut was crimped. Also, they completely screwed up a simple replacement of the knob on the gearshift (on a recall for a cosmetic problem), and the car couldn't sense that it was in "Park" and so it wouldn't shut off. Back to the dealer I go! I'd change dealers if there was one closer. I can't even tell you how much aggravation I've had both with the car and the dealer. This is definitely my last Hyundai.

Reply to
Fantine

Thanks for the explanation which makes complete sense and would definitely explain why the window will only move in the opposite direction. Of course, the window always works perfectly when I'm at the dealership, so they take the easy way out and just order a new motor. The entire dealership has gone completely down hill in the last few years, and everything about them is shoddy. I'd go to another Hyundai dealership for warranty work, but that would mean even more time off from work because of the distance. What a PITA.

Reply to
Fantine

Unfortunately power window problems plague most cars. Hyundai is actually one of the better ones, by far. Its due to everything being made smaller, lighter, and with cheaper materials due to having to satisfy the USA CAFE standards. Sounds like the dealer could / should do better for you.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

My dealer sells a small bottle of official Hyundai "injector cleaner" for $10:00. To have him pour into tank at an annual service costs $80!!!!!!!! Not bad for 1 minutes work. I,m not sure other brand dealers will be any better, you ought to hear comments re Ford in Australia.