Re: Electric cars, cheap

The 3 phase AC motors with PM rotors in a Segway have ample torque at

0 RPM, as when stopped and balancing.

I suppose Tesla can dump in some battery current if the residual magnetism in the core isn't enough to start regenerative braking. I have PM motors for a windmill and never looked into using an induction motor.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

A flatlander, huh? jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Modern EV speed controls are very smooth. You can select the programmed torque or acceleration curve you want, they don't have to immediately turn on hard if floored. I tried a prototype electric motorcycle with controls smooth enough to accelerate in a tight low-speed turn, like riding Trials.

Electric mobility vehicles are better examples than golf carts.

I took a temp job repairing a dealer's backlog of broken ones before the position at Segway opened up. They are a good model for a minimalist electric vehicle.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Have you thought about how to swap the local-use extra batteries and the long-range genset? We don't all have forklifts, or smooth level driveways. I can barely lift a 3750W genny into the back of the SUV. jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Eventually.

You've set a pretty low bar for performance. Have you considered a horse?

The usual series hybrid will charge the battery while it's supplying power to the motor. I assume you're not counting on that.

Aha. Let us know how it works out. d8-)

I'm saying that none of the cheap, simple solutions will sell. People want cars that don't require jumping through hoops to get them home.

The idea of the serial hybrid is that the IC engine will allow you to take long trips. What you're suggesting is the equivalent of a spare tire. You're talking about an all-electric EV with something to get you home when you screw up and run out of juice.

Somehow I can't see the marketing story that would convince most people to buy one. If I had an EV with auxiliary power, it would be to enable longer trips. I already know how far I can go on electric power.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Ok, but we're talking about a mild hybrid with some kind of homebrew control.

Maybe EA should start with one of those.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

They require gearing or belts. The homebrew PM alternators are low-rpm devices these days, and generally run at turbine speed.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I understand that it DOESN'T EXIST!

Hold that thought about disingenuous lying...

Right, you only claimed you could build _99%_ of a Volt.

"99% of what your Volt does, ANYONE here could do with a 15 kW genset,

4 motors (if you want real versatility), and a bevy of switches."

- EA, May 23, 2013

But in fact, you can't build zero percent of a Volt. Your idea of doing some sort of low budget conversion of an existing vehicle is 1. Just pie in the sky, as you're too busy babbling, and 2. Would be nothing more than a Frankenstein golf cart, exactly as Ed just explained.

LOL So says the guy who insisted that I didn't know what a kWh is and that I paid $50k for my car.

A Fit is no Volt. Neither is a Prius C or a '74 VW or an Aptera or any of the other examples you've pushed. But I have no quibble with you liking the Fit or anything else. Only with you pretending that apples are oranges, and that anybody who buys an orange should have bought an apple, and that buying oranges is somehow giving you and everyone else anal pain and preventing you from having your apple. In case you didn't grok what I just wrote I'll make it plainer: you are a crackpot for believing there's a market for a Frankenstein golf cart, and for believing that it would satisfy a huge market segment when it in fact wouldn't even satisfy you, and for believing there's something wrong with a market that doesn't aspire to Frankenstein golf carts.

Yes, I've noticed your schizophrenia about alternately dying for an EV but claiming you don't need or want another or different car. It's damned funny and I predict that you're good for another 300 posts trying to explain it.

Reply to
whoyakidding's ghost

Some time ago I suggested that EA study the controller manual for a electric wheelchair or supermarket buggy pusher or whatever. It would give him some idea of why hating on "bloat" and "complexity" is stupid. But he would rather spend his time insisting that toggle switches are the answer!

Reply to
whoyakidding's ghost

... and inefficient and heavier than he thinks.

EA should be assigned the task of driving an old Beetle with two spark plugs removed for a month to give him some perspective on what a great job car makers are doing combining good fuel economy and properly drivable peak horsepower.

Reply to
whoyakidding's ghost

More like two horses and a mule, the latter to carry feed and water for the horses and the EA butt penetration manifesto... to show anyone who might ask to pet the horses. :)

Right after you figure out how to turn Usenet posting into $30k.

Reply to
whoyakidding's ghost

I'll have to read up on this. Thanks.

Reply to
dsi1

Yes, my people believe the we should pick one attitude and then stick with it.

Reply to
dsi1

Let us know if you find different than what you already said. Last I looked, and not too long ago, electric cars win in efficiency. Power plants more efficiently burn fossil fuels than ICE's. There are different levels of efficiency, depending on fuel. But I WASGed about 10-20% improvement for electric overall. That's figuring in line losses, charging losses, etc, too. So I think the above is all backwards. As renewables grab a bigger share of energy, there's no contest.

Reply to
Vic Smith

BZZZZZZZZZZZZT! Guess again!!!!!

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Power plants are old & overworked as it is. The electrical distribution system wasn't designed for the additional loading, and pushing it harder increases the I/R losses.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

That would be surprising, because the highest thermal efficiency of any powerplant generator is the 52% record set by a special GE unit, while several automotive turbodiesels have touched 40%. Transmission losses make up almost all of the difference. And then charging (in)efficiency of the EV batteries flips the advantage toward the ICE car.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Unfortunately for us.

How it is actually executed is irrelevant, another point you don't understand. Since you've been caught with your pants down so many times -- just the latest of which is butt ANOTHER of your bullshit strawmen that because the average price of US car is $30K, the Volt is a good buy -- which is total bullshit, as I showed -- now your best defense is a strident offense. And a pretty good one, given you run around with GMs dick in your mouth AND ass....

Yup, 99% of the Volt functionality. With toggle switches. Yup, I could build it, Ed could build it, Gummer could build it, dozens here could build it.. Would it look pretty? Proly not. Dats what sheetmetal presses in automotove plants and assembly lines are for, dumbfuck.

Moot. You WOULD have paid $50K for your car, and you would STILL be inventing bullshit ROIs.

Ahhh, very good Grasshoppa. It's in fact likely MUCH cheaper to fix or maintain than your volt, and you will NEVER recoup your upfront cash over a Fit. Indeed, a Fit is no Volt.

AND, in my trip to Eastec in Massachussetts, I burned less gas than YOU would have..... In a car legendary for its roominess. For $16K.

Neither is a Prius C or a '74 VW or an Aptera or any

Is Frankenstein your latest strawman? Of course it is! And it is NOT what I'm advocating at all. An affordable econobox, filled with batteries and a get-me-TF-home genset? Yes indeedy. Which could look EXACTLY like a Volt or a Leaf. You have more than reading comprehension problems..... you must be high on mushrooms or somethning, bec you have YET to get it right. You apparently CANNOT understand an AngstMobile. You can't understand your own Volt, which you demonstrated explicitly and implicitly many times already.

Uhhh..... Funny how you ignore the inconvenient, eh?

Nothing to explain. I like the Volt. I like electric car technology. I got two cars. When the time is right, I'll buy what's right. Over your head, I know, but mebbe if you concentrate really hard.....

Reply to
Existential Angst

That's what toggle switches are for.

No hoops to jump thru. Just will be a li'l slow up hills.

That's not why people are buying Leafs, tho. And apparently they are buying more Leafs than Volts.

What you're suggesting is the equivalent of a spare

I've only said that about a dozen times!!

There is a leaf forum with a hyooge number of posts on just have an gas-powered auxiliary generator for CHARGING. They would be ecstatic over a plan B genset to actually DRIVE home in case of a screw up.

If I had an EV with auxiliary power, it would be to

That's where options come in. If that's what you want, then you are a Volt candidate, with a big-ass genset. If you are doing around-town stuff, and just don't want to get stranded, that's where the AngstMobile comes in.

Chevy was banking on your above statement, but, alass, all they got were assholes like Kidding. So THAT strategy didn't turn out too well. Seems like my strategy is the next one to try.

And you seem to think my get-me-TF-home genset would be like riding a horse, jumping thru hoops, throwing toggle switches, etc. It could be JUST as seamless as the Volt is now, just with less complexity, less power, and MUCH less cost.. You run out of juice, the genset kicks in, you accelerate, go up hills slower. No biggie. If it is a biggie, get a Volt.... or a Honder Fit, for $16K and 40 mpg and ultra-reliability, and as much usable room as a minivan.

Reply to
Existential Angst

I'm pretty skeptical myself. The idea that a car that converts most the energy in gasoline into heat could be as cost effective as an electric car seems to defy the laws of thermodynamics. OTOH, things go a lot smoother if I just say I'll defer the discussion until later. I just love saving time!

Reply to
dsi1