Re: hot rotors?

I guess ur right on that. It got me thinking as to how much stress it would be on the rotors while driving in rain. It heats up and then water splashes on it cooling it very fast. Its surprising that this sudden heating and cooling doesn't make the rotors brittle.

> > > Had the front brake pads replaced yesterday. On returning in the evening, > > decided to touch the rotors to determine how hot they were. Just came off a > > highway 60 to 5mph, then another hundred yards at 30mph and stopped. Burnt > > my finger, it was like a hot iron. Rotor wasn't red or discolored, but i was > > surprised at being burnt. > > I expected the highway driving to have cooled off the rotors, so the only > > heat generated would be the braking done after that. Is this heat normal or > > am i thinking wrong? > > > > Sume > > 93 Grand Am V6, 120K miles > > > > > > I'd be inclined to think "normal". > > Keep in mind you're talking about converting the kinetic energy of a ton > or more of vehicle moving at 30MPH into a couple pounds of hot metal > that isn't moving. That's a *HUGE* amount of energy to be pouring into > the (comparatively) tiny little wafers that are your brake rotors. > > I'm sure that the highway driving cooled things off quite nicely. But > the braking at the end (and you can't forget the braking involved in the > "60 to 5" part of the operation - that pours the energy into 'em, too) > had to hammer all of that energy into the rotors in just a few seconds. > > You damn well better believe they're gonna get hot! I'd be absolutely > pick-my-jaw-up-off-the-floor amazed if they *WEREN'T* hot enough to > blister you after "just" a 30-to-0 stop, let alone a 60-to-5 slowdown > just seconds (100 yards at 30 = what? MAYBE a whole 10 seconds worth of > cool-down time from the 60-to-5 manuever?) prior to that. > > (Hmmm... pardon me while I "stream-of-conciousness" for a second or > three... I just got a brain-tickle, and I can't be happy until I figure > it out) > *IN THEORY* > 30 MPH = 30 * 5280 = 158400 feet per hour > 15840 FPH / 60 minutes in an hour = 2640 feet per minute > 2640 FPM / 60 seconds in a minute = 44 feet per second > > 100 yards = 300 feet / 44(FPS) = 6.8 seconds of travel time. > This assumes an (impossible) instantaneous transition from 5 to 30 at > the start, a constant velocity over the entire distance, and an > instantaneous (again, impossible according to the laws of physics as > currently understood - Erm... Well, not quite *IMPOSSIBLE*, but you'd be > a greasy red mess being sponged off the interior of the car at the end > of it, rather than a living human asking why he got burned) 30-0 > transition at the end. > > *IN REALITY* > I bet you were probably braking for at least 40-50 of those hundred > yards, all the while pouring a boatload of energy into the "tea saucers" > that are your rotors on top of the even bigger boatload of energy from > the 60-5 transition that you just dumped into them seconds before. > > Are you still surprised they got hot enough to scorch you? :) > > -- > Don Bruder - snipped-for-privacy@sonic.net Hate SPAM? See for some seriously great

info.

I will choose a path that's clear: I will choose Free Will! - N. Peart > Fly trap info pages:
Reply to
Sume

I'd say it was normal. Many years ago, I was just driving around town (30-40mph max). Came home and started washing the car. When I sprayed the front wheels, steam was generated (not a lot, but steam). I was surprised as I had not been driving the car hard, just putzing around town. Anyway, they do get hot.

bb

Sume wrote:

Reply to
bobby

LOL!

Yup, most folks only ever do that test once....

Sounds perfectly normal to me.

Rotors can be amazingly hot before they discolor or warp from a puddle and usually the wheel lugs need to be uneven to case a cold shock warp.

Mike

Sume wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Couldn't have said it better myself!

I was going to say imagine all the every (heat) it took the engine to produce to get the vehicle to 60 mph. It takes comparatively the transfer of equal energy (heat) to get it to stop.

info.

Reply to
Clem

Ummm (damn that spell check!) this is supposed to say:

I was going to say imagine all the ENERGY (heat) it took the engine to produce to get the vehicle to 60 mph.

:o

Reply to
Clem

The amount of energy transferred is the same, however, the surfaces are not mated well and therefore the spots where there are contact, those areas will transfer the energy until the surfaces conform to each other. In that case, only those spots will be hotter. While the brakes are not being used, I would venture to say that the brakes would not change in temperature, light dragging does not generate significant heat compared to braking.

Friction stays the same because the coefficient does not change, only the surface area that it acts upon.

Reply to
Bruce Chang