Re: Lost key to trunk lock - 72 Nova . Open from inside?

> Was hoping someone in this group could go take a look at the trunk > latch on their Nova and see if it can be opened from the inside. I > need to get my stuff out of there, its not drivable at the moment so I > cant take it to a locksmith. I would rather not drill the lock either > ... > > I have backseat out, but its kinda hard to see back there (its huge, > heh). The holes under the rear deck are too small to pull what I need > out. Is there just a latch inside somewhere I didnt see or what?

I had a similar problem with my '81 Camaro. Was hoping that maybe the keys were in the trunk. :)

There was too much stuff in the way for me to get to the latch itself as it was mounted low in the rear panel, so instead I stacked a bunch of extensions together and unbolted the two bolts that held the latch loop into the trunk lid. Up came the trunk, piece of cake.

JazzMan

Reply to
JazzMan

I like your solution, JM. He didn't mention whether he thought his keys might be in the trunk. If they are not then the trunk won't help him as the ignition key is different I believe; always has been on my old GM's. I wonder if GM could still do anything through the serial number. Pulling the ignition lock wouldn't be too hard though. Does it sound like he has something really SPECIAL in the trunk that he needs without anyone seeing?

Reply to
Tomcat14

Biscay's Classic Chevy Parts has the complete ignition & door lock for $27.

Reply to
Tomcat14

Well, I just decided to rebuild the carb and drive it down to the locksmith. Only charged me $15 to soft-key the lock and grind up a new key. I started thinking about unbolting the the lock, but that would take ALOT of extensions :) But thanks for the replies. Btw, I just had some stereo gear which I couldnt wait to try in my new car w/ new system :)

Reply to
Athome