Re: Need help with ignition system problem

Hi.

> > I have a '89 T-Bird 3.8L (not SC) and am having an ignition problem > that I'm having trouble nailing down. > > The car starts fine and idles steady but slightly rough with a miss > that happens intermittently anywhere from half a second to 2 or 3 > seconds apart. > > When I take off, there is usually (but not always) a brief hesitation. > When I want to get up to highway speeds, the miss gets considerably > worse and sometimes it's so bad that he car hardly wants to accelerate > at all and shakes like a son-of-a-bitch. The more I put my foot down, > the worse the missing. Shifts are also kind of hard. > > Also, I can rev the engine in park and it sounds pretty good. The > real problems don't become apparent until the engine is under a load. > > Funny thing is, I was driving to work the other night and for the last > half mile of the drive the car ran almost perfectly, so the problem is > intermittent, although it is a problem 95% of the time. > > What I've done: > > changed spark plugs > changed 3 plug wires and coil wire > changed distributor cap and rotor > checked the timing (ended up advancing it about 2 degrees) > used injector cleaner for the last 2 weeks > > What I still need to do: > > change remaining 3 plug wires (a bitch to get to) > > What I'm also considering: > > ignition module > ignition coil > kickdown module > > Are there any other possibilities? If you guys could, just list all > the things you could think of that could cause this kind of > intermittent behavior. I thought about fuel filter, but when the car > ran like new for 2 minutes the other night, I kind of doubt it's the > filter at this point. > > To give you an idea of where I'm leaning on this issue, I'm still > thinking chances are good that it could still be one of the plug wires > I haven't had time to change yet. > > The car has 104,000 miles and I'm almost certain the plug wires > were/are the originals.

Well?What brand wires are you using?

Reply to
wws

Never mind. This newsgroup doesn't appear to be particularly helpful.

Reply to
JK

you need to replace the rest of the plug wires.what you have is a secondary misfire under a load.

Reply to
robby

secondary misfire under a load.

Reply to
robby

I agree with robby. Symptoms are identical to one's I had that were fixed with new plug wires. I could verify mine were bad by spraying water on them in the dark garage with a spray bottle while idling. I could create the miss at idle and see the arc at the plug. I wrapped tape around that plug boot and car ran great. Got new wires the next day before the glue on the tape melted and made a mess. I don't think you can always find a bad wire with the water spray, so if you try that and don't see the arc, don't assume the wires are OK.

About that time frame, Ford ignition modules were known to fail also. They were covered under recall, but all of the failures I am aware of, the car jujst stopped running suddenly. I don't recall any symptoms leading up to the failure.

BTW, if you don't think this group is particularly helpful, please disregard everything you read here. When asking for free advice, you shouldn't complain if you don't get a response in the first few hours.........geeeeze

bb

Reply to
bobby

Reply to
robby

don't know the car or what the access problem is but if you can get the leads to an ohm meter on each end of the ignition wire it would probably show which one is bad. I've diagnosed ingition wire problems that way and located the bad wire.

you can get a set of ignition wires with a lifetime guarantee. just keep the receipt and the store will replace no questions asked. I do that because I've damaged ignition wires when pulling them - clumbsy ignorant amateur working on his own car.

--

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ William R Watt National Capital FreeNet Ottawa's free community network homepage:

warning: non-freenet email must have "notspam" in subject or its returned

Reply to
William R. Watt