Re: Strange noise from Scion tC

2005 Scion tC with Camry 2.4L 4 cylinder VVTi.

> > First-third gears, no sounds, no problems. When I hit 4th gear and press > the gas, there is a noise from the front of the car that is best described > as putting a playing card in the spokes of you bicycle. I heard it when I > was 'sort of' lugging the engine, but it didn't go away as the RiPpeMS > climbed. > > At first I thought it was an exhaust leak, but it only occurs in 4th gear. > Even in third, I can stomp it, no sound. Only in 4th. > >

So, now this is an automotive group? Sheesh!

Noises that come during the selection of one gear, but not any of the others would have me looking for a diagram of the internals of the transmission. I once (long long ago in a galaxy far far away) correctly diagnosed a broken tooth in a Ford 3-spd transmission.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Spark knock ?

Reply to
FatterDumber& Happier Moe

My dad's Ford truck broke a gear. It was a sharp knock.

I'd like to think that you could not break gears in your tC, but any noise that comes from only one gear means you have to consider a broken transmission.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I could give you my standard "noises, vibration, and harshness are difficult to diagnose without experiencing them first hand" sermon...

Jeff is kind of thinking along the correct path to diagnosis except that broken gear teeth with no other problems in a constant mesh transmission are as rare as hen's teeth. I have looked at a lot of broken transmissions, including abused transmissions, and have never seen a broken gear tooth that wasn't caused by something else in the transmission breaking and getting caught in the gears.

If you have a manual transmission and the noise is actually coming from the transmission and not elsewhere in the drivetrain, then I'd start by checking the transmission fluid level. Try altering the pressure on the shift lever to see if the noise changes. Do you drive with your arm resting on the shift lever? Bicycle card sounds can be caused by the teeth on the synchro ring touching something, most often caused by the driver leaning on the shifter all the time, which wears the shift forks, which create a little slop in shifting. The problem usually shows up in the gear that is used most.

Reply to
Ray O

I try not to rest my hand on the lever, I have heard of this condition before. I'll have to check to make sure. About the only time I leave my hand on the lever is if I think I will either be downshifiting to 3rd or upshifting to 5th SOON.

The sound happens in 4th gear, ~2200-2500 RPM, and then goes away when ~40MPH is reached and I let off the accelerator, or above 2500RPM or so.

I was thinking lugging, but the damn thing is geared so low you can be at

1500RPM and tromp it and be off to the races!
Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

That doesn't sound like a transmission noise. I'm thinking that something is touching at just the right torque. How many miles on the engine?

Reply to
Ray O