Re: Toyota Throttle Electronics Easily Confused

Interesting post. That's what I get for listening to NBC News.

No, I don't have any pix, but the Denso pedals don't seem to have the problem

They were inefficient, but when you went below ~30MPH, they lost their 'memory' and had to be reset to work .

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

messagenews:hm6346$ukt$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org...

yeah, you just trust money. shill money.

Reply to
jim beam

here are some good technical videos

Toyota

I heard the same sort of thing, and believe they said the Nipponese pedals had metal instead of plastic. Should be able to google it.

Reply to
hls

When it gets warm, I'll have a look at my Scion...

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

I am not an expert on software, but it seems to me that the basic programing modules would be similar across the product lines. I am sure there are variations in response parameters, but I would guess that the basic processing strategy would be the same across the product lines. I am sure it probably evolves over time, but I would be suprised if all of the vehicles with electronically controlled throttles didn't share the same basic programming. I have a couple of Toyotas repair manuals, and the electronic throttle control sections are virtually indentical (2.4L I4, and 3.0L V6).

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

that's not all you're not an expert on ed.

that's an underwhelming argument ed. sadly underwhelming.

Reply to
jim beam

In message , jim beam writes

Why did it backfire? Our news was that things (Auto wise) were on the up in your country because of Cash for Clunkers.

Reply to
Clive

On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 15:24:22 -0700, Ashton Crusher wrote:

I can't prove what Tegger said and I doubt anybody can - until black boxes are telling the story. That's probably coming as a defensive measure by the auto mfgs. I've never had the problem of mistaking gas for brake. But though you and I may have trouble imagining that happening, it makes sense. Especially since SUA predates electronic throttles. Here's something that happened to me, and though it doesn't fit in exactly with SUA, it's similar. My kid converted his '93 Corsica from auto to a 4-speed Getrag. Shortly after he did it, me, him and my wife went somewhere in it and I said "I'll drive." Just for the hell of it, and to make him feel I wanted to try out his handiwork. I didn't give a shit and thought he was stupid it do it, but hey, I knew he would like that. So I run it up to second gear getting to a stop sign, and I blow the stop, ending up halfway in the intersection because I couldn't stop it. Luckily it's a residential street with little traffic. Turns out he had some big stupid aftermarket pad on the brake pedal that put the right edge real close to the gas pedal, and my foot was pressing both pedals. Seems simple enough, but I had enough of a WTF moment that I ended up in the intersection. You could call it a brain fart, but I cussed and told him to take that crap off the brake pedal. Still don't understand exactly how that happened, but for sure my head wasn't in gear with my foot in a new pedal configuration. I actually had to look down at my foot to figure out what I had done wrong. I was okay with it afterwards, and he never changed the brake pedal pad, because he never had trouble with it. But that WTF moment gave me a glimmer of the kind of confusion these SUA drivers suffer from. But just a glimmer.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

In message , Ashton Crusher writes

Somewhere on Youtube is a film of an Explorer driving up Redciffe Hill in Bristol ( England) accelerating, when going over the brow of the hill a line of traffic is seen waiting to approach the roundabout, the driver pulls off the road to the left and straight into a tree in the garden of peace, killing the driver. The police take 15 minutes to ascertain the cause, it's the cruise control cable which is over-riding the throttle cable keeping both throats of the carburettor wide open.

Reply to
Clive

ultimately I think we will all be in electric cars, even performance cars. So most likely everything will be electrically driven.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Oh, WeLLLLLLL, I do declare, /I/ have!

If I remember correctly, I believe it can, and has been attributed to rusted throttle cables. And, would you believe, it happens a bit here in the Northeast.

And your logic is fuzzy as well.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

In message , Vic Smith writes

I wouldn't have thought that any new car with cable control would pass emissions regulations.

Reply to
Clive

Akio Toyoda to visit Beijing today for press conference to explain recalls.

cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

That was a long time ago. When I was a little boy, a lot of the cheapo toys that were available were made in Japan,. from tin cans or something worse.

Now, they are at the top of the ladder mht. optics, electronics, automobiles, motorcycles, and a lot of other things.

Reply to
hls

Think about it. He speaks English but does not have the art of political English speech. He may play dumb (or may be dumb, but I doubt it), or he may simply avoid controversial topics.

Reply to
hls

I think the Japanese always made some very good products. However, most of the good quality Japanese products from the 50's and early 60's were to expensive to be sold competitively in the US or not suited to US tastes. Plus, there was the whole WWII thing. It took a few years for the US Public to get over that.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

I have a small wind up mechanical mule toy which walks forward, it was made in Japan.I think was made soon after World War Two.One side of the toy was made from an old Pabst Blue Ribbon beer can, I can see a little bit of the inside of the toy.I can't see enough of the inside of the other side of the toy to see if there is any advertizing on that half of the toy.The toy still works, at least it was working last time I wound it up many years ago. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

I still fondly rememeber my 7 transistor Japanese made AM radio that I got around 1962. During the day I could get maybe three local stations. Ahaa...but at night I could get what seemed like hundreds. My favorites were WBZ (Boston), WABC (New York), and WLS (Chicago). I still remember the ads for Raceway Park, Morristown , NJ.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

First I remember of Japanese products "coming into their own" was those little transistor radios back in the '50's. Only game in town for that. Toshiba comes to mind. That was a good indicator of them getting the jump on us, and they did. Probably dumping them too, but if they could play that game on us, so what? What matters is who wins.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith