Removing 626 alternator

Hello,

I need to know how do you remove the alternator on a 1989 Mazda 626? I have disconnected it (2 bolts and wires) but I can't remove it from the engine cavity either throught the top on bottom. What is the best way to get access and remove it?

Do I need to remover the steering strut or something? it is frustrating as it is very close but just won't come out.

Thanks

Reply to
Eamonn

I went through this with my 1988 626. As with you, I successfully detached the alternator but couldn't get it out of the engine bay. I called a mechanic friend who laughed at me and told me to stop by with it. He soon stopped laughing, as he could not get it out either. We had to remove a halfshaft to get it out. Not a fun day.

RNR

Reply to
RNR

I've done it... ('89 MX6 2.2) I can't remember how exactly other than it was way too painful for an alternator. There's no need to remove anything but the alternator and maybe a plastic splash shield in the wheel well.

I just kept turning it and trying different angles until I got it out. Took it out through the bottom as I recall. No way to get it up through the top.

Wish I could be more help, it's just been too long.

Reply to
Brent P

Hmm thanks, It was wishful thinking there would be an easy answer.

What is the halfshaft?

Thank you

RNR wrote:

Reply to
Eamonn via CarKB.com

He's refering to the drive shaft to the passenger side wheel. It is possible to get it past there without taking it off. keep trying different angles. If you remove the plastic splash shield in the passenger side wheel well you'll have better access. It's just been too long for me to remember exactly what twists and turns I did to get it out.

Reply to
Brent P

...."remove the charcoal cannister from the firewall. Then, the alternator can be squeezed (more like forced) out from the top"........or so says a forum Q/A from 2000. HTH. Pls. post back your results. s

Reply to
sdlomi2

....."you have to move the charcol canister up and out of the way. Then remove the bracket holding the main wire harness coming out of the firewall on the engine and push the wires as far as you can to the drivers side.THen[sic] the alternator will come out the top but it does take some twisting around to get it out.Strange thing is the new one goes back easy?".....from a Google-found forum Q/A. HTH, s. PLEASE reply back so we will all know.

Reply to
sdlomi2

Yeah... now I remember... I was always removing the charcoal canister to get down into that part of the engine bay. duh.

Reply to
Brent P