Grand Prix Intake Manifold

Just curious to know how many people have had the problem with their Grand Prixs where the intake manifold wears out/warps and starts leaking coolant? I was told it is a $1200 repair and very common. There are numerous posts on the NHTSA site about it and a petition floating around as well. Just curious.

If you've had the problem and fixed it yourself, I would appreciate any feedback on the ease of the repair. Thanks for the help.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Lee

Depends, what year and engine?

Reply to
Phillip Schmid
1997 Grand Prix, 3.8L (not supercharged)
Reply to
Flatlander

The problem with that is that the engine has a composite intake, the hot EGR gasses go through and melt the intake where it goes through. I've heard of people taking smaller tubes and inserting them into the EGR portion of the intake so that there's more space between the EGR and the rest of the intake on new intakes; if it works though, I have no idea. It is a common problem too.

I think if you're inclined to you could do it one night. I haven't done it, but from reading how it's done it seems like a pretty straight forward job. If you want I can post the instructions for you.

Reply to
Phillip Schmid

If you are inclined, you can email the instructions to snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com. I used to do a lot of work on cars from the 70's (1977 Vega, yeah!) but I haven't messed with a relatively modern car other than oil changes and spark plugs. I appreciate the help.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Lee