Replaced CV joints, now I can't keep brake pressure

I changed the CV joints, half shafts and tie rod ends of my 83 Honda Accord. Now I am hearing a grinding noise while moving and turning the steering wheel slightly. And I am experiencing a loss of brake pressure. I can pump the brakes and stop however in a short distance (1-2 blocks) there will be no pressure at all. The power assistor is functioning properly, the brakes are free of leaks and have been bled twice.

The rotors now have noticeable wear lines which were not present before the CV joints were changed. While spinning the rotor I noticed that they can actually rock back and forth within the brake caliper. I have not yet had a wheel alignment done because I have no brakes.

It seems that when the brakes are pumped they make full contact with rotor however after some steering the brake calipers are forced open (due to the play in the position of the rotor) and will no longer make full contact with the rotors on the next use. What causes the play in the rotor?? The axile nut and all surrounding parts are tight.

thanks in advance, Doug - 83 Accord with just under 200,000 miles

Reply to
Doug

The conical bearings in the rotor provide a firm fit. If your rotor is wobbly, look for bearing problems or an improperly seated and adjusted rotor bearing.

Since you have worn grooves on your rotors, you'dbetter check the condition of your brake pads too.

If you get the clearance out of this setup, chances are that your brakes will firm up.

Reply to
Larry Smith