Replacing Tie Rod Ends Caprice

I need to replace both tie rod ends on my 85 chevy caprice. It looks like there will be no load on the tie rods and I can just crawl under the car and take them off without anything self-destructing. Do I need to jack the car up?

Thanks

Reply to
Caprice85

It will help to have the car on jackstands 1) to fit under the car easier and 2) to allow the hubs/knuckles to swing back and forth for easier access to the components. I can't imagine performing this on the ground esp. when jackstands and a basic jack can be had for cheap.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

yeah yeah. of course he'll use jackstands. i have the same situation with an 87 caprice. give me some tips. any problems i should look out for? i'll get an alignment afterwards but how can i get it close? count threads? thanks...theick

Reply to
frank-in-toronto

Yes. I could be wrong, but I don't see why you should necessarily get it realigned.

Reply to
Matt

The only difficult job of removing tie rod ends in that era auto can be separating the joint from the wheel assembly. I assume it is like similar GM products I have worked on. Loosen the nut, but dont remove it. You can tap on the nut and even heat a little if you need to in order to loosen the taper fit.

I put a mark on the tie rod and measure to a reproducible point on the end. Then, when I put the new end on, I screw it in to the same index mark (or as close as I can come).

You would be wise to have the alignment checked, at least.

Reply to
<HLS