Oil Pan Gasker or Just RTV to fix leak

Ok, 2 weeks ago I replaced my oil pan gasket with a cork gasket from Autozone. I applied a bead of Permatax RTV Black on both sides and around each bolt hole. Darn thing is leaking again.

One of the shade tree mechanics around here (I am included in this group) told me not to use any gasket, just use a bead of RTV, let it tack for 15 minutes then bolt it up.

Trying to get a consensus on what is the best fix for this problem.

Thanks, Nick

Reply to
Nick

Ditch the cork (get them to take it back?) and get a genuine Toy neoprene gasket. The extra $$$ is worth no headaches!

Reply to
HachiRoku

Check the factory specs. Many many many toyotas do not use an oilpan gasket, just a nice bead of RTV.

Reply to
qslim

Actually, they use a Form In Place Gasket (FIPG) material, different than regular RTV. The black stuff is for engine oil contact and the orange stuff is for gear oil contact. Supposedly there is an product call Right Stuff that is similar to the FIPG. I used the Toyota/black FIPG on my '85 oil pan, no leaks in 4+ years.

Reply to
Roger Brown

ive used that exact stuff( in my waveblaster though!) anyway the right stuff comes in a aerosol type can.. almost looks like a shaving cream can.. i bought it at r and s strauss in nj.. its a blackish gray gasket maker it says it worked pretty good..

Reply to
Waveblast9