Re: Rubber transmission pan gasket.

If not, how does one get the cork gasket on? They are usually folded >in the box.

Reply to
Eric Fraser

Lay it in the sun for a while on a flat surface and tie it loosely with thread to the holes to hold it in place

Reply to
Akacguy6161

=46el Pro makes excellent gaskets. Permadry oil pan set for your vehicle is Fel-Pro fel OS30915R . $12.92 or $27.47 list.

They also make FEL-PRO Oil Pan SnapUps which are designed to hold up the pan and gasket, and allow for easier bolt installation.

Another solution is to use a gasket adhesive.

I use a gasket dressing on just about any gasket I install. The best I've found is Hylomar by Permatex.

Reply to
saeengineer

|On 29 Jul 2003 19:45:26 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Arch) wrote: | |>Does anyone know if anyone (Fel-Pro?) makes a rubber/non-cork |>transmission pan gasket for a Ford Escort - 95 model? I've looked on |>the web, but no success. |>

|>If not, how does one get the cork gasket on? They are usually folded |>in the box. Do you use a little (much?) RTV silicone to "attach" it |>to the pan? Do you put RTV silicone on both sides of the gasket? Do |>you use one of those spray on gasket adhesives to keep in on the pan |>while the pan is lifted to the ATX housing? |>

|>The though of trying to keep that folded gasket on the pan while |>fitting the pan in place looks difficult. | |=46el Pro makes excellent gaskets. Permadry oil pan set for your vehicle |is Fel-Pro fel OS30915R . $12.92 or $27.47 list. | |They also make FEL-PRO Oil Pan SnapUps which are designed to hold up the |pan and gasket, and allow for easier bolt installation. | |Another solution is to use a gasket adhesive. | |I use a gasket dressing on just about any gasket I install. The best |I've found is Hylomar by Permatex.

Hylomar is available under many brands, Permatex is the most available here in the U.S. But yes, it's ecellent. It does not harden, and it can be taken apart and re-assembled with oil on it and still seal. It's required for gear changes on Hewland transmissions, where a gasket is seldom used and gear changes are usually wet.

the low-tech way to get that gasket to lay flat is to use thin thread through every third bolt hole and tie it to the pan. You can leave then there or remove after assembly

Reply to
Rex B

Try a transmission supply. They often have rigid rubber coated gaskets that are easy to handle, and the cost is often very cheap.

For cork gaskets, lay them out flat a few days before use, but do not seal with RTV. Use only a slight amount of rubber glue, like weatherstrip cement, around the outer edge, beyond the bolt holes, so it can't possibly get into the tranmission.

Reply to
do_not_spam_me

If they are genuine 100% cork, and not cork-rubber, you need to soak them in water before you lay them out flat.

Reply to
Rex B