short

I have a sidekick 91. There is a fuse that shorts and I think it has to do with the electricity of the light at the back of the car. I have a cable for a trailer that has been add when the previous owner had the car in 91. any Idea.

Thanks

DCL

Reply to
dcl

fix it.

Reply to
ed

Yeah the cable pigtail has probably gone bad. BUT you still need to trace it down to repair it.

There are a few ways to track down the break

The first is a short locater tool. One type jumps the fuse area with an automatic circuit breaker and has a needle gauge that wags back and forth as you follow the wire. Where the break is the needle will stop. Another type is a Fox and hound style signal injector. With it you connect a signal generator to the wire and follow it with a receiver unit, when the tone stops you have found the break. Now if you don't want to spend a lot of money you can make a home brew version of the first type using an automotive circuit breaker to replace the fuse and a compass. Just watch the needle to see when it stops moving.

Another way is to visually pull the harness apart and find the short by looking for a bare wire or burnt insulation.

Or just put a really heavy fuse in it and wait for the wire to start melting and follow the smoke.... NOT A GOOD IDEA

Reply to
Steve W.

"dcl" wrote: ( 91 Sidekick)

There is a fuse that shorts. Any Idea? __________________________________________

Tie yourself to a kitchen chair and torture yourself until you reveal exactly what you are doing when the fuse blows, then post your confession here. Someone will help.

Rodan.

Reply to
Rodan