should gas cans be air tight?

I just bought a gas container from lowes but I notice it really doesn't seal completely. If I hold it upside down a drop eventually forms. One of the parts has lip with a small bevel on its circumference but I couldn't tell if the plastic chipped off or it was manufactured purposely like that. So which is it? Air tight seal or no?

Reply to
wahzoo

If it was sealed it would either explode or implode depending on temperature.

Reply to
p¶yats " @tex¶as.net

Most gas cans that I've seen have a vent cap on them as well as the main cap opening, which has a screw-on part with a vent which will pop open in case the pressure inside the can gets too high..

Reply to
Robert Hancock

The can is defective, take it back.

Gas cans seal tight.

Gas fumes blow up.

Mike

wahzoo wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
bobby

Yes air tight. Escaping vapor can ignite with the slightest spark or static and vaporization will cause the remaining liquid in the container to turn to useless varnish.

Reply to
James C. Reeves