specific gravity of Walmart battery

I woul like someone that has an EverStart maxx batttery to check their cells and let me know what readings they get.

Reply to
georged

A little self-centered, are we?

Reply to
Charlie Darwin

Are you thinking they should be different because of the brand? In my experience battery hydrometers have a single scale that applies to all batteries. A battery hydrometer is good mostly for identifying a weak cell but after charging be sure to let the battery rest before you use the hydro.

Reply to
Radioguy

georged wrote in news:fa3622b1-4f35-44b6-a006- snipped-for-privacy@v38g2000yqb.googlegroups.com:

All automotive starting batteries operate the same way. Correct and incorrect readings are the same regardless of brand.

How to check your battery properly: Go here:

- Click on the first listing (the English FAQ) - Click on item 4, "HOW DO I TEST A BATTERY?"

Reply to
Tegger

What you are looking for is uneven readings, same as for compression. If one cell is lower than the rest it is a bad one usually.

If they are all low, then look to a bad connection or a bad alternator.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG AT's, 'glass nose to tail in '00 'New' frame and everything else in '09. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build Photos:
Mike Romain

you can check your cells with a volt meter and it will prove to be more accurate. to do this disconnect the battery cables, neg. first. then remove all the caps to the cells, set your DMM to volts, hold one lead on either of the battery posts and touch the metal tip of the other lead into the electrolite in the cell closest to the post you are touching, then start moving away checking each cell in the same fashion, you should find on a fully charged battery that each cell has

2.1 volts, remember they will start adding as you move through the cells 2.1v, 4.2v, 6.3v, 8.4v, 10.5v, and 12.6v

usually though, if you suspect a bad battery or alternator you can take it to your local napa dealer and they will load test either for you and no charge

Reply to
Johnny