Starting problem 1987 Hyhundai Steller

Have a problem starting a 1987 Hyhundai Steller 2 Litre. When you attempt starting the cold vehicle in the morning after being outdoors all night it won't start. You try cranking numerous times it won't start. After trying for a period of time you eventually get it started and it will remain started. Once the engine is warmed up if you switch the engine off and restart, it will start. As long as you do not let the engine cool right down, if you switch it off and do whatever you have to for a reasonable period of time and then attempt to start the engine again it will start. However if it is completely cooled down it will not start and you have the same problem you have when it cools overnight. Plugs have been changed. Plug wires have been changed, also the distributor cap and rotor changed. Even the carburetor has been replaced with a rebuilt one. None of these part replacements has solved the no starting problem when cold.

I have discovered that if I leave the car engine block heater plugged in overnight, in the morning I am able to start the car. However when I go to work and leave the car outside it cools right down again and I now have the no starting problem, again after work.

It seems like the carburetor adjustments have to be one way for when the engine is cold and another way for when it is warmed up.

Is there anybody out there who can identify with this problem with a

1987 Hyhundai Steller 2 Litre.

Your help will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance Denny B

Reply to
Denny B

Sounds like a choke plate in the carb is not closing. Take the air cleaner off and after depressing the throttle once, see if the choke plate is fully closed.

P.

Reply to
pete selby

Not familiar with the Steller but you might have a cold sensor that helps to activate a sidekick fuel injector. The injector feeds the port untill car is warmed up. If you find the sensor, just yank connector out see if it's starts - works on most Hondas. Second, if this applies, have a look down the carb to see a squirt (priming action) when you first hit the gas? To be sure, observe a service manual specific to the '87 Steller, - I'm just throwing ideas. Indi

Reply to
Indian Summer