straightening mangled aluminum panels - feasible?

I saw a documentary about the "lightweight" E-type Jaguar. Only 12 were made, so they are worth millions. Some bloke bought a crashed specimen, and restored it, allegedly repairing original panels. Now these were aluminum. How can you straighten it when something is creased over nearly 180 degrees? I guess you would have to heat it, then bend back about 20 degrees, then heat again in many steps, until original shape is apparent. Even then, I reckon he would have needed a lot of bog filler to getting it looking half decent.

Reply to
pedro1492

You anneal the panel and wheel it back into shape. Repeat until you have them all done. Not really all that hard if you know how to work with aluminum.

Reply to
Steve W.

It's panel beating, no heat. The material is easily stretched by overwork so it's skilled labor. I've done that on a smashed MGB bonnet and it is indeed difficult but not impossible. You're right about the fiberglass/polyester filler - can't lead fill dents and holes on aluminum.

Reply to
AMuzi