Studding tires

I've got a pair of low-mile Goodyear all season tires that I'd like to put studs in. The problem is that they don't have holes for studs. I know a guy that drills & studs dirt bike tires, so I'm assuming it should also be possible to drill & stud these tires.

Any tips on drilling? I'm thinking that if I have a proper size pit, put a depth gage on the drill, & use soapy water as a cutting solution, I can make passable holes for studs. For diameter & depth, I'll visit the tire shop & measure some of their tires. I plan on going to a shop for placing the studs.

Anyone done this before?

Oh, the tires are 16" LT tires for a 1-ton van.

-Jeff Deeney-

Reply to
Jeff Deeney

For $40, I can get a spare rim, then swap snow tires on & off as needed. Since I already have the old tires, it would be the most cost effective solution, not to mention keeping them out of the landfill. I would only run the studs up into April.

Thanks for the link. I'm in Colorado. Interesting stuff. Banning studs in Florida makes perfect sense. Banning them in Utah is just plain silly.

Thanks again. Finding LT studdable snow tires is difficult. These look far better than anything else I've seen out there.

-Jeff Deeney-

Reply to
Jeff Deeney

Sorry, it won't work.

Studs look like a bullet with a lip on the bottom. The holes in the tires have this lip area molded into them. That is what holds the studs in place.

Most bike tires I have ever seen studded had the holes going right through the lug with a liner inside the tire or it was a threaded part going into the lug.

Mike

Jeff Deeney wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain