Tegger - 1MHZ-FE question.

"As a very rough partial guideline, avoid any '99-'02 V6 Honda with an automatic transmission, or any Toyota with the 1MZ-FE V6 engine."

Tegger,

What are the problems with the 1MH-FE engine? Mine has a noisy and disturbing valve train sound when I start out cold. It goes away when the trans shifts into second (or third?). Problem does not occur when the engine is warm.

Thanks, Gary

Reply to
G Mulcaster

G Mulcaster wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

The only problem I know of has to do with sludge buildup with early

1MZ-FE's. These engines are not as tolerant of neglected oil changes as other engines.

Are you using an OEM oil filter? Are you sure it's valve noise and not piston slap? How many miles on this engine?

Reply to
Tegger

I change oil (Mobil-1 synthetic) and filter every 3000 miles so sludging should not be a problem.

I use OEM filters occasionally. I'll try one next oil change to see if it makes a difference. Not positive it is valve train noise. It's an '02 Sienna with 85,000 miles.

I reported the problem before the warranty ran out at the three year point. It was test driven by the dealership and not considered significant. It is slowly getting worse.

Thanks for the reply, Gary

Reply to
G Mulcaster