throttle bodie

how do you clean the throttle bodies on a chevy V6 or V8 ?

Reply to
bluemarble

Carb cleaner spray. Like what this guy's doing:

Sam Nickaby

Quote from this web page: "Cleaning this [throttle body] should also gain back some lost horsepower"

Whatever horsepower "gain" this dude is going to realize from a Tbody clean would all be lost were he to clean his battery terminals, thus loading his alternator properly.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

Only if you want to buy a new throttle body.... Carb cleaner will destroy most throttle bodies. They have a 'throttle body' cleaner spray that works well on throttle bodies, but won't clean a carb for shit...

Mike

Mike Romain

Bullshit. I've never seen a throttle body get damaged by carb cleaner and I have used it on all makes since fuel injection first started. I don't know how this myth started but it is not true. Carb cleaner also will not damage an IAC motor either.

They have a 'throttle body' cleaner spray

I will agree that the throttle body spray cleaner is useless. I never tried it on a carb, but it has done absolutely nothing when tried on a throttle body.

Reply to
Mike

The "myth" is from Ford warning that they apply a protective coating to their throttle butterfly valves on certain engines, and that standard carb solvent can damage that coating. It's my opinion that if the coating didn't function properly as an anti-stick agent, then what do you have to lose? If the coating is to prevent corrosion of the butterfly metal, then I guess it's a bad idea to dissolve it. Other manufacturers don't warn of this problem, nor do their TBs show signs of metal corrosion after repeated cleanings. I don't work on enough Fords to have first-hand experience of the long term effects on their shit boxes.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

That has not been my observation.

Reply to
NickySantoro

Throttle plate cleaner -designed- for coated butterfly valves works fine, as long as you realize some toothbrush work may be required on the throttle throat itself. IMO, don't touch the throttle PLATE with anything but the liquid designed for coated plates. The throttle throat is *open season* for a toothbrush and throttle plate cleaner.

Using this method, I got mine squeaky clean. The problem isn't just the throttle plate, it is the carbon dam that builds up behind it in the throat.

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

I actually just read the directions on the cans. One specifically says 'not' to use it in Throttle bodies, only carbs so who am I to argue with their directions or second guess their chemical mix?

Mike

Mike wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I like the fact that Ford has the statement on the TB's, But seem to be the dirtiest TB's around. I've fixed several family fords by cleaning the TB

Reply to
Stephen H