Top Gear Interstate road trip full of challenges.

I watched that Top Gear tv show last Monday and it is on tv again tonight.Bagdad, Alabama? No such town in Alabama that I know of.I own a half acre of land in Interlachen,Florida,Putnam County.I have been to Florida quite a few times before.Soon as I got across the Mobile bay aea, I always dropped over on Highway 90, I don't like to get on those Interstates.Bagdad is just barely North of Pensacola, (if you have a Rand McNally Road Atlas, you can see Bagdad,Florida) I have driven through there every time I went to Florida.I believe that whole Top Gear stunt in that little town was rehersed. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote in news:27541-47A7EC28-50@storefull-

3253.bay.webtv.net:

What was your first clue? Those stunts they pull are ALL rehearsed.

Top Gear is a very glitzy, well-produced reality show with high entertainment value. Not a car show, a reality show.

If you watch Top Gear with any sort of regularity, you realize fairly quickly that Jeremy Clarkson has a major hate-on for Americans; he never misses a chance to denigrate them.

I saw the episode you mention. The cast spent the entire two months in the US doing nothing more than giving voice to Jeremy Clarkson's profound disdain for all things American. That was the sole purpose for going there, as far as I'm concerned.

Reply to
Tegger

They stopped in bagdad before crossing into alabama- they read their 'orders' there and prepped the cars, then drove into 'bama.

The gas station incident was in alabama.

Was that all rehearsed?

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

World War Two American Ship production in Florida and Alabama and Mississippi and Louisiana, many, many other knds of materiel produced for the World War Two era and American men and women made it possible for Top Gear to come to America.The cold war is on again, I think the British R.A.F.do fly some American manufactured Aircraft when they get up there to warn off the Russians.

I am not a shrink, but I don't undestand why Jeremy Clarkson bashes America so much.(I think Jeremy Clarkson's main problem is himself) Willys had an assembly plant down under the ground in England in World War Two.

What are ''rednecks'' and ''hicks''? (Hollywood stereotyping, in my opinion) I was born in a little ''hick'' town on November 5,1941.I am not a ''redneck''. cuhulin, the ''redneck hick''

Reply to
cuhulin

Top Gear is a reality program like Survivor, or Big Brother, or America's Next Top Model, or whatever. It is not true reality, but carefully staged reality (oxymoron?) designed to attract viewers. If the viewers in England didn't find Jeremy Clarkson entertaining for some reason, they wouldn't watch the program, and he would be out of a job. The English have a real problem - it is a country full of ex-Colonial Administers, Soldiers, and Sailors who think it is still

1913. They know they are great, so everyone else must not be so great, and therefore they often find it necessary to point out the flaws in America and Americans. Personally, I would love to go to England and look around. I love history. No place on earth is so full of antique machinery, ideas, and people. And to be honest, I don't think the English can hold a candle to the French and Germans when it comes to disparaging Americans - we just don't get their programs (since most of us are too chauvinistic to learn French or German). Thank goodness we have the Canadians to make fun of.....

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

According to the map on Top Gear, they drove across the Mississippi Gulf Coast area to get to N'Awlins.H.M.S.Battler Ship for Britain in World War Two was built by Ingalls Shipbuilding (formerly, Ingalls, it is part of Litton Northrup Grumman nowadays) in Gulfport,Mississippi.Ingalls built some more Ships for Britain too.

Mississippi History Ingalls shipbuilding

I am Scotch Irish by Ancestry.I did my U.S.Army year in Vietnam in 1964, my eight years broter and I were over there at the same time/year.I like old History, but I am not into fighting and hundreds/thousands of years old wars.

I didn't mean to get off topic. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin