Toyota'91Issues

Hi,

I've a Toyota Cressida GLX'91 with 140k on it. The engine was heating up during Idling during the past few days. My mechanic attributed the problem to the lack of a hole in the thermostat, so he drilled one in. He says that even distribution of heat on the engine happens due to the thermostat hole.. I'm not to sure about it.. haven't seen much change in the performance though.

Problem 2: When I cold start the engine..it gives out white smoke for a minute or two..& then gets back to normal..i.e. no smoke. Does this indicate a head gasket leakage some where? If ys, what are its symptoms...& how can it be fixed..is it expensive???

Thanks,

ZB

Reply to
baig.zubair

You best seek out a new mechanic. You went this long without having some stranger drill you. The white smoke could well be a symptom of a failed head gasket or cracked block, which would be very expensibe. You would be losing some coolant along with the white smoke. Have the new mechanic pressure test the system and you will know.

Reply to
Al Bundy