tranny refill on 78 chevy luv

pls:

78 chevy luv, 4spd manual, 4cyl, 2wd does anyone know: how to measure tranny oil/how to refill/where the refill plug is?

thx in advance - IA

Reply to
inneramazon

The refill plug is on the side( Drivers side). If you can stick your little finger in the hole and touch oil, it's full. If it is low, pull the bottom drain plug and drain the oil, replace the plug and fill it until it drips from the hole. You can buy the gear oil in squirt bottles. I use a rig of clear 7/16 tube with a metal elbow at the end and squirt the oil in from under the hood. The plugs may be tough to remove. Use only a six point socket. You don't want to round these off. Hope this helps

Reply to
TOLYN9

So there are at least 2 of those old Luv trucks in existence. You must take good care of your baby there Tolyn.

Reply to
MaxAluminum

TOLYN9, thx so much, book doesnt help.

is the plug on topside of tranny, or bottom? any clues to really narrow it down (yrs of greasedirt obscures clear visual).

Reply to
inneramazon

TOLYN9, i reread your advise w/ caffeine this time, answered my own question, thx so much again.

Reply to
inneramazon

I don't own a Luv. That is standard procedure for a manual trans. The fill hole is the full limit.. I'd be more worried about an easily replacable rear seal if it is low . Seeing swirls of silver in the drained oil is a sign of deeper trouble. There must have been a problem that prompted the original post. The problem wasn't posted

Reply to
TOLYN9