Transmission Storage

I'm in the process of restoring a '72 Ranchero and one of the first things that got back from the shop was the C6 transmission. While waiting to get the engine put back together, I've been storing the tansmission in the garage setting upright with the bell housing to the floor. The other day a friend came by and said that storing my transmission in this position could cause internal damage (though he could say exactly how). Is he correct? Did I make a boo-boo?

BK

Reply to
bkilmer

It just rest on it's thrust bearings - no problem. The only thing you should do is make sure all of the openings are plugged or taped. Pull the converter and cover the seal surface with duct tape to keep the load off the pump seal. Pull th input shaft and tape the splines good to keep moisture from them. You may want to tape the vent on top of the housing. Moisture is a bigger problem than position. It is possible you will have some internal sticking if it sits too long no matter what you do.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

just ensure tht when you re-install the trans., that you let the fluid work it's way back up and into the seals, bands, check-balls, etc. In essense, go slow for a while with the the trans, give the fluid a good chance to circulate under minimal load.

Reply to
Knifeblade_03

One local transmission shop told me that they never prebuild transmissions from cores and store them. They said that seals, etc, can deteriorate under storage conditions. Not my words, but theirs.

So it may be not just the position you store them in, but also the moistening of the seals with ATF, that can be a problem.

Reply to
<HLS