Truth is Stranger than Fiction

This is follow-up to my previous question "Can I re-build it?" referin

to the clutch master cylinder in my 91 Cherokee Laredo (175K). ordered a new master cylinder on line. Received it no problem. Sunda project, my DH and I got under the shade trees to change it out. Everything went along real well. As we're tightening up the nuts on th new master cylinder, DH said"this is the easiest thing we've done o this vehicle" (he shouldn't've said that)." He says ?Get in there an slip that push rod on the foot pedal and stick the keeper clip in it (yep, going good! and it's not even noon yet!) OK I admit I'm a better go-pher than a do-er, but shouldn't be tha darn hard to slip this thing on there! WILL NOT GO!! (like I said, h shouldn't've said that!) What the heck?! Won't line up. Get to looking at the foot lever looks bent! How in the world? Thick as that metal is? Well, well well, looks like the union auto worker must've taken a coffee brea between welding the back side and welding the front side of the lever' pivoting mounting bracket at the firewall! So, a weak weld and a stron leg trying to get clutch clearance to shift gears --- bent clutch lever OK, take the whole mounting bracket out, realign the clutch lever, wel it. Re-install the bracket, master cylinder push rod slips right on th pin!!! Yeah, home free !!!!! Fill master cylinder , etc, etc, etc. Time to test it ?. Won?t shift ?. Not enough pedal ?. Feels like I? trying to push it thru the floor to get clearance! What the heck?! (did I say, he shouldn?t have said that?!) Frustrated now! I get back under the dash, push the clutch with m hand and see that the lever is completely on the floor and indentin the carpet. Fruussttrated ? I?ll pull the dang carpet out ?. I onl need a little more clearance! Take the interior strips out that hol the carpet in place on the driver?s side, pull the carpet out of th way, push the clutch pedal ?. The lever is on the bare metal floor !!! aarggg --- the dang push rod in the new master cylinder is TOOOO SHORT!!!! ?????????? DH builds an extension for the push rod, put it back on the clutc lever ?.. works great!!! And it?s only 6pm ? It?s been a couple o months now, shifts like brand new Jeep!! The truth as I think it was ?. There was likely nothing wrong with th master cylinder to begin with ?. Over time, the non-welded clutch leve gradually moved enough that the master cylinder push rod became ?to short? for the longer distance caused by the bent lever

-- CherokeeGirl

Reply to
CherokeeGirl

Great story! Thanks for the grin :)

Kate

Reply to
Kate

Wow, what a pain of a fix! Nothing like having to make a 'custom' clutch.

I would have almost been thinking about getting one from the wreckers if I found mine like that.... But then again I do have a little wire feed 'mig' welder.

Mike

Mike Romain

DH?

"I

Reply to
billy ray

Devoted Husband ?

Reply to
Dave Milne

Sounds a lot nicer than what came to my mind...

Reply to
billy ray

yeah, I thought of D**Head also

:-)

Dave Milne

I once drove a '64 Dodge that would regularly bend the clutch cross-shaft out of spite. I must have welded it 20 times before it finally held. Lousy engineering to say the least.

I'm glad the problem is finally fixed. And I'm astounded that females actually help fix cars. I'd sure like to meet one of these someday. Actually, here in sunny CA, I'd just like to meet someone NORMAL for a change. Ah, this life.

Reply to
Outatime

One of the many times I had the transmission out of my Studebaker truck it was because the clutch was acting up, the pedal went all the way to the floor and wouldn't come up. (Studebakers have mechanical clutch linkages)

So out it came... and everything seemed fine. I put it back together and everything seemed fine for one ride around the block, then the pedal went back to the floor and didn't come back up again.

Apart it came again and this time I found the clutch lever was twisting on the splined shaft that goes into the bell housing and works the throwout bearing. A little bit of welding and that particular problem was fixed.

Unfortunately that wasn't the end of my problems with that transmission... wish I could put a Jeep transmission behind a Studebaker V8!

Jeff DeWitt

CherokeeGirl wrote:

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

I had that problem on an 88 MJ. Problem was, the brake and clutch pivot around a common shaft and are welded to a tube. Long story short - parked a Sam's, hit the clutch to back out and hear a "POP" - whole pedal broke off. Driving 10 miles even in light traffic with no clutch is a challenge!

And that short push rod got me as well when I swapped out the internal clutch for the external slave. Fix was to cut the the rod, thread the ends and add a threaded union in the middle. When I changed the master after a few years, I just swapped the push rods.

Sure is a funny feel>

Reply to
Will Honea

How bout one on TV? Check out Xtreme 4X4 on Spike, She Fabs, wrenches, wheels, machines and welds and obviously knows her stuff.

Reply to
Simon Juncal

Two points here:

  1. I don't watch TV. My display is attached only to my DVD player.

  1. I don't watch TV is because of its delusionary nature.

"Meeting" a quality female isn't the same as "meeting" one on TV.

Reply to
Outatime

Plus she's cute!

Jeff DeWitt

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

I've not seen the show but if this show is from the Kingdom of Kalifornia there is a chance she is not actually a 'girl'.

Reply to
billy ray

Chances are pretty good that she's a he out here. All of the rumors you've heard about that kind of thing are true. Believe nothing you hear and about half of what you see.

Reply to
Outatime

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Long manicured white nails is not usually associated with your average mechanic !

Dave Milne, Scotland

Reply to
Dave Milne

Wow aren't you the grizzled one. let me address your 2 points:

  1. I don't care, and didn't ask for you to share your peculiarities with us, I was being conversational. I don't think it merited the abrasive reply.
  2. Again who really cares? You have some sort of television OCD, that's great for you, I'm glad you're proud enough of this to share it twice.

"Meeting" that's more like 3 points, and BTW "quality female" is something you might say as you're looking a horse in the mouth... I can just picture it, mountain man type, red flannel shirt, more facial hair than face, "yessum, that right thar's grade A quality female".

Reply to
Simon Juncal