Eeyore

You're drivelling.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Joe Fischer

Reply to
Joe Fischer

There are variations on golf carts that are electric vehicles. Sometimes they are called 'neighborhood electric vehicles'. They are usually limited in speed to something like 25 to 30 mph. They are not legal on any road posted over (if I recall) 40 mph. Their range is usually limited to around 20 to 25 miles and their safety features are non-existent.

I do not consider these to be proper cars. They are not legal on any highway, freeway or most major streets here in Los Angeles.

There are some concept cars, prototypes and 'any day now' cars which are very expensive but workable with both good speed, range and acceleration. As yet, only a handful of these have been built and none are being sold to ordinary mortals today.

There were a couple of models made previously, the Toyota Rav4, the GM EV1, some Ford Ranger trucks and the like. Only a handful of them still exist and no one makes them anymore.

Simply put, no one makes a street (freeway) legal electric car. The nearest you can get is to convert a hybrid like the Prius into a 'plug in hybrid' by installing larger batteries and misc other parts.

Anthony

Reply to
Anthony Matonak

Joe Fischer wrote: ...

... With more advanced battery management systems, such as used in the T-Zero, smaller battery packs can be managed individually. Then individual packs can be replaced as needed without having to match them to the entire assembly.

Anthony

Reply to
Anthony Matonak

In a view years, there will be many different nice electric cars or plug in hybrids.

That's all because of new battery technology.

Lithium Polymer is about 8 times better for use in vehicles than lead acid.

You could use different approaches to this

Toyota Prius+

That's a Prius converted with 9 kWh Lithium Phosphat batteries from

to a plug in hybrid. I heared the conversion is about $9000

Electric range around 50km with 20% remaining in the battery.

After this, it's just a normal Prius.

Or has it to be under all cirumstances a car?

If You are in a urbn area where all Your ways are with low speed, the cheapest approach to electric vehicles would be an electric scooter like the E-Max S. Here in Germany just for 2300.-EUR

Or just coming on the market, a maxi scooter with nice performance

Roland Mösl

That has to be the best looking car around.

Joe Fischer

Reply to
Joe Fischer

Most current EVs have lead acid or NiCd

At Lithium Polymer, it seems the batteries will last longer than the cars

I have a 6 year old Lithium Ion in one of my older notebooks at 60% original capacity

Reply to
Roland Mösl

The best car I have seen so far has been the Tesla -->

Hi all,>

Reply to
Daryl Bryant

If you can find it:

(This uses a Zebra liquid sodium nickel chloride battery. I thought these had to run at high temperature, so I do wonder how they achieve this.)

If you can afford it, there's the Tesla.

The best concept car I've seen is the PML Mini PHEV.

Alex Terrell

Conversion Special;

Parts Catalog;

EV companies;

Some vehicles

Some vehicles : ebay;

Old Ad;

Joe Fischer

Reply to
Joe Fischer

Where is electricity so cheap. Unless you are using a wind turbine or solar panels you will be buying electricity that in most locales in the U.S. has a deregulated price.

Reply to
John S.

The one I linked to is street legal !

An electric Smart is on the way btw. That may finally make EVs look credible since it's a 'real' car.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Reply to
Eeyore

reply to replies or you are a troll.

Reply to
OldNick

What is a deregulated price and why is it bad?

Joe Fischer I wish I lived in California and grid was >$.30

Reply to
Joe Fischer

They make theese in Norway, or rather, they retrofit new Smarts that they get as "gliders"*

*Cars withouth engine/transmission.
Reply to
Trygve Lillefosse

Citroen and Pegueot makes a few electric cars. Mostly kangoo/belingo and saxo.

If you can afford it, I would sugest a Toyota prius, and then use a convertion pack to make it into a plug-in hybrid(about $1000-1500 I think). It may also be possible to add more batteries.

Reply to
Trygve Lillefosse

Street legal in London but not available in the United States. It's specs leave a lot to be desired as well... : The G-Wiz AC Drive, offering 45 mph, range up to 48 miles per charge

It wouldn't be able to drive on any freeways around here (Los Angeles) and there are even an occasional city street that is posted higher than 45 mph.

Anthony

Reply to
Anthony Matonak

I don't see how having ten $500 packs is a great improvement over a single $2000 assembly especially when they all wear out together.

Reply to
AZ Nomad