Which electric car is best?

Hi all,

I'm interested in going electric, since all the trips that I make are short and on local roads, and electricity is so cheap.

I am curious to learn whether any one electric car has stood out as being both a good value. Needless to say, Consumer Reports has never reviewed electric cars. But surely someone has done a 'round up' of the current models?

Or should I buy a kit to convert an existing car to electric? If so, which kit is best? I assume I would buy a VW Rabbit or similar for that.

Thanks for any info.

Reply to
yubbers9

If you are willing to wait a few years, Mitsubishi may have something to offer.

SJC

The electricity may be cheap but the cars aren't.

This one is affordable though.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

good Lord, that isn't a car, its a Fischer Price Toy

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

The major problem with all electric cars that Ive seen so far is that whilst the car has very low running costs, electricity is cheap, the batteries needed to give the car any useable range arnt. The most common batteries used in EVs are either Lithium Ion or Nickel Metal Hydride , both of which are very good hi energy density and good performance , but limited life relataive to the life of the actual car. Most EV manufacturers are silent on how long the batteries will last and on how much they will cost to replace. From my experiance with fixing lap top computers which commonly use Lithium Ion batteries, average life is about 2 years, so if you are happy with having to replace your EVs battery every 2 years or so then go for it.

In the case of the Riva it appears to use Lead Acid batteries which are heavier and of lower energy density than Li Ion or NIMH. If you are thinking of buying an EV , make sure you get some info on how long the batteries will last , and what their replacement cost is.

Reply to
Mauried

There are no current models. No one makes them.

Anthony

Reply to
Anthony Matonak

All of them are.

You should see the rest ! I picked a decent one.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Oh but there are !

And they mostly look like really really bad jokes except the mega-bucks ones.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Indeed and they're heavy too which doesn't help overall efficiency.

Because no-one really wants to talk about it. It's EVs' little secret.

I couldn't agree more.

Battery longevity ( and improvements in same ) are critical to successful future EVs.

Not to mention weight and capacity too !

And then there's the little matter of how to heat or cool your car in uncomfortable weather as well.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

That's a *decent one*??? It looks like a piece of crap. I wouldn't give anyone $30 for that piece of shit.

If that's The Future, I'm glad I won't be around to see it.

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

So you want your cake and eat it too....

Reply to
Dan Bloomquist

Of course not. This civilization is spoiled by cheap energy.

Best, Dan.

Reply to
Dan Bloomquist

Your bias is showing....

Reply to
Dan Bloomquist

Do show your numbers. There was one production vehicle several years ago that had shown 50% grid to road. What do you want?

At that, 70% is technically achievable from the numbers I ran....

Reply to
Dan Bloomquist

About the smartest comment I've seen on usenet.

Reply to
Dan Bloomquist

There is no reason to think of replacing the whole battery pack at once, although when batteries are in parallel, they need to be close to being "matched". A well designed but easily removed interlock- connection panel can make checking batteries and only replacing bad ones feasible.

Don't you accept that with good regenerative braking weight is not as critical an issue? The entry of ultracapacitors has just happened, but can quickly make a big difference in performance and range. With ultracapacitors, EVs would be boring, but with them, the future is exciting. A national race of EVs would help, EVs competing against ICE cars, and the EVs would probably always win with ultracapacitors. Just the difference between 600 or 800 cranking volts of regular lead-acid batteries and my 1000 cranking amps NAPA sealed gel cell "orbital" battery is impressive in starting the old car, several people have noticed and remarked. Ultracapacitors can do the same for acceleration, an electric motor can deliver much more than rated power for a short time as long as it has time to cool between traffic lights.

I don't know about other countries, but in the US, an EV needs to be a normal size car, nobody wants to drive a miniature car on the same road as regular traffic. I would like to have a lightweight EV, but there is no place to drive one.

Come on, what did people do before 1940? :-)

What do people do to heat or cool an RV without a grid connection?

While the driving part would be cool to be all plugin electric, there is no reason to be without at least one small generator, just one of the regular ones like for emergency generation. I saw a small two stroke at Mejiers for $148 the other day. Maybe somebody will decide to adapt an outboard boat motor to an emergency generator with water cooling, and that could be connected to a heater.

There needs to be a lot of EV mechanics that can use common sense, but auto mechanics are hard to find now except at dealer garages.

Joe Fischer

Reply to
Joe Fischer

There seems to be a perverse desire on the part of 'alternative' providers of vehicles to convert us to nothing more than turbo'd 'milk floats' !

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Who doesn't ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Eh ?

They actually sell some in the UK ! I'm being kind.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

If I had the tiniest clue what you were going on about I could comment.

As ever you're just being intentionally obscure.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore