94 Excel Window crank

How do I remove the window crank handle from this. The window is about 6 inches down and will not move. It doesn't feel like the handle is stripped, I think something has came loose in the door but I cant get the handle off to see. Thanks, Rob

Reply to
Rob

There is a wire clip on the crank handle where it slips over the shaft on the window regulator mechanism. You can see it if you push the trim panel inward and look behind the crank. You need to hook the clip with a piece of stiff wire and pull it off or push it off with the tip of a thin screwdriver, then the crank will slide off. There is also a special tool available for this job which you can find at auto parts stores. To reinstall the crank, put the clip back on the handle, then push it onto the shaft.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

On this car, the clip is very hard to access behind the trim washer on the crank. I've never seen one of the special tools not butcher the washer. If the hook method Brian describes doesn't work, you can try this (if the crank will turn):

  1. Get a reasonably sized flat-blade screwdriver-- something you'd actually use to make screws tight-- small enough to fit a screw and large enough to actually make something tight.
  2. Turn the crank handle facing upward.
  3. Insert the screwdriver between the crank handle and the trim washer on the top side.
  4. Pry back on the washer while turning the crank handle. This should hold the washer still and push the clip off.
Reply to
hyundaitech