1987 Toyota Cressida

There is a child lock on the inside of the passenger doors. It must be locked because I can't open the passenger doors from the inside, obviously. But, I can't even open the doors from the outside. I'm completely lost, and kinda need my doors to open, at least from the outside. Does anyone have any ideas?? ? Thanks

Reply to
shee

When you say "passenger doors" do you mean the front seat passenger door or the rear seat passenger door?

Have you tried unlocking the doors manually?

Most likely, a rod clip has fallen off inside the door. If this happened to multiple doors at the same time, the most likely cause was someone was attempting to use a slim jim and knocked the rod clips off.

Reply to
Ray O

Reply to
shee

Reply to
shee

Assuming that the temperature is not below freezing where you are and the doors are not just be frozen shut, then yo uhave to remove the interior door panel to access the hardware that releases the door and to the lock rod clips. It is a lot harder to remove the interior door panel when the door does not open. The doors panel is held on with a combination of screws and clips. First remove all screws (usually screws holding the arm rest and door release lever) and then pull the retaining clips our from the perimeter of the door panel.

Reply to
Ray O

SNIP

Ray, can he use a Slim Jim to open the door with the clips disconnected?...be lots easier to get the panel off...

Reply to
Gord Beaman

Just tried it on my 89 and it worked. Slant the slim jim at about a

35 or 40 degree angle from horizonatal towards the back of the door and you catch the latch rod. Pull to open. Not sure if the 87 had the same door.
Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

In theory, yes - if the OP can get the slim jim on the door lock itself.

Reply to
Ray O