1988 corolla won't start---

ok so a friend gave me this 1988 corolla (carberated) and I wanted to see if I could get it running.

Apparently it just up and died one day and my friend didn't have the time or patience to attempt to repair it. So I'm looking for a little help or advice.

So far I've installed a fresh battery, cables looked good from the surface. Insert key with driver side door open and get "door open" chime. Attempt to turn over the moter and the chiming dies and nothing happens (no ignition, no motor turn over, no display that the ignition switch is getting power...absolutely nothing).

so I return the key to the "home position" and the door ajar chime comes back to life. I attempt to turn on the headlights and the door chime dies again and there are not headlights to be seen.

All fuses appear intact.

I am at a loss as to where to start, is it possible that the ignition switch has a short in it....reportedly it had been working intermittently for a year or so before the car finally would not start again. Or could it be a short somewhere in the alternator? voltage regulator?

Any and all help or advice would be most appreciated, thank you in advance.

rwc

Reply to
robertwcross

Are you saying when you turn the key to start the car and the electrical system seems to go dead? If it were a short, a fuse would blow. The headlights, door chime, etc are on a different circuit then the starter system.

It could be a bad connection at the battery or starter. A corroded or damaged battery terminal or cable. Check the battery ground cables.

There is also a starter relay and clutch or park/neutral switch that could be bad. Use a voltmeter to see if the starter is getting power when you energize it. Try hot-wiring the starter to see if it works.

Reply to
toyomoho

Thanks for your reply!

Yes, when the key is turned to "start" the car, the electrical system dies...

Also, when attempting to turn on parking lights, the relay under the dash begins to click....then when trying to turn on headlights, the "head" relay under the hood begins to click.

I will try testing for continuity at the starter...as you've suggested, but if they are on a different circuit why would I be getting no lights at all?

bob

toyomoho wrote:

Reply to
robertwcross

Those are symptoms of a bad battery or bad battery cable connection.

Reply to
Ray O