1989 P/U 22r engine hesitation/bucking

Recently I have noticed that my p/u when cruising at 60 or above begins to hesitate and bucking so bad that I have to shut the car off let it sit and then drive again and then it does it again. Then if it sits for a while it runs fine for a few days and does it again.: So far I have noticed:

1) Has done it with full tank of gas and almost empty 2) Dry and in Rain 3) I only notive it on the highway (most of my driving) 4) I changed the wires and plugs 5) I?m not sure if it always does it when I?m cruising at then accel. 6) Seems it gets worst the more load I put on the engine. 7) I can put my foot down on the gas and the car just doesn?t move. But when the car idles its fine. 8) The hesitation is like a bucking horse!!

Thanks for your help!

Reply to
PJV267

fuel filter?

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Some things to check for: A crack in a vacuum switching valve - If you install a vacuum gauge on a long hose and snake it in to the cab, you can see if vacuum is low when this is happening.

You mentioned that you changed the wires and plugs. Assuming that you changed them in hopes of curing the condition and it did not work, did you check the cap and rotor? If you changed the plugs and high tension wires and then the condition appeared, try using OEM ignition parts. Is the spark advance working?

Is this a fuel injected or carbureted truck?

If carbureted, check fuel pump and while you are at it, check your oil for a gas smell.

Reply to
Ray O