1992 AWD COROLLA WAGON

Hi:

I have 92' Wagon AWD. Automatic. Cruise, Canada

Symtoms:

When coming off the Highway at 80mph it begins to want to stall. Then when I stop at the stop sign, it just stalls after shaking a bit. I read on Car Talk that it could be the "lock up torque converter" it seems to not want to stall if I'm towing a trailer or some weight. I have an aftermarket transmission cooler. I've left it with a decent Transmission place but off course they couldn't get it to stall. Any insight to this would be great email me at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.comm

thanks

Reply to
deliperrot

The easiest way to check if the lockup torque converter is not unlocking is to put the transmission in neutral when it starts to stall. Does the condition occur if the transmission is in OD off, 2, or L range?

What is the condition of the automatic transmission fluid? When is the last time it was changed?

Reply to
Ray O

It's in the shop as we speak.

The fluid is nice and red and does not need replacement apparently.

The OD button is broken they will replace it in Canada the switch cost me 60CAN plus 60CAN to install.

Solenoid job is quoted as $200-$300 sound ok?

Ttransmission cooler checked out ok.

so if i place the transmission in neutral coming off the highway and it doesnt stall its the solenoid.

I played with holding the OD button in ie OD off and did not seeme to make a difference.

As a side note I would love to get AC for this car is it hard to install it?

Reply to
deliperrot

That is good news.

If that includes parts and labor, that sounds about right.

If you place the transmission in neutral coming off the highway and it doesn't stall, it may be the lockup torque converter or it may be a shift solenoid that is sticking. If the shift solenoid is sticking, I would guess that the transmission would start in the incorrect gear and the OD off light would start flashing.

By any chance, are your brake lights working properly? The brake light switch on the brake pedal sends a signal to unlock the torque converter when you apply the brakes. If the brake light switch or associated wiring are bad, the torque converter may not get the unlock signal.

Since you did not mention a flashing OD off or check engine light, I'd take a look at the brake light switch or something mechanical with the torque converter lockup mechanism.

Installing AC is not a job for the average do-it-yourselfer. You need specialized tools and equipment like AC pressure gauges and a vacuum pump, as well as a license to handle refrigerants. On top of all that, installing an AC system involves installing a condenser in front of the radiator, removal of the heater core in order to install an evaporator, disassembly of the dash to install wiring, installing the compressor, and associated plumbing.

Reply to
Ray O

I will live without the AC.

Getting back to my Lock up Torque Converter problem. The brake lights have never seemed to malfunction..only when I plug in my trailer lights :)

I just found out that the solenoid for the transmission is 323 CAN plus labor. The OD switch is 80 CAN and has taken 4 days to arrive from Toronto.

Where is the solenoid located? Can I change it myself?. I also cannot find a manual for the 92' AWD wagon....not even the cheapo Hanes or Chilton ones any clue I suppose Toyota has one for 100 dollars.

Thanks for all your help in this trying tranny time

cheers

db

Reply to
deliperrot

If the trailer lights malfunction when you plug them in, it may be because you need a converter. The trailer's brake/tail lights also double as turn signal lights, while the car has a separate turn signal light.

Make sure all your trailer wiring connections are good and properly wired.

Not to sound too obvious, but the transmission shift solenoids are located in the transmission. You should be able to see them from the engine compartment, they look almost like an oil pressure sender. Your transmission should have electrical connections near the bell housing, near each of the 2 shift solenoids, and one at the output shaft of the transmission for the speed sensor. Changing a shift solenoid is simple - unplug the electrical connection, remove the solenoid, reverse the process.

Reply to
Ray O

Hi Ray:

I just back from the Tranny shop. First let me add a couple of points below.

The trailer cable in the car was put in by profesionals ie a glass and stereo trailer hitch place thats been around for 30 years. I suspect it might be all the water and rust on the trailer side of things I will get the will power and fix the trailer....but hey I use 1 a week for early morning fishing.....just a little lazy.

I would like to get a manual to which one is which they are really hard to find.

I left the shop having paid

260 dollars cash ___________________ 45 diag on tranny 65 1 hour labor 85 switch 65 1 hour labor

he gave me the broken switch. It had leads taped on...weird I guess its the second switch.

Then the car stalled 5 m The dia showed noth If the car stalls coming off the highway and you restart it while in N or P and it stalls again it is not tranny related but engine related. If so what can it be, injectors?

he quoted $600 to replace the torque converter if we had to. Unless I can fix this myself with basic tools I will take a break as I already had the rear 1/4 panels replaced. looks way better.

damn stalling;

Thanks

db

Reply to
deliperrot

If there are no trouble codes stored, I doubt if it is the shift solenoid or torque converter, especially if it re-starts.

I doubt if it is injectors. Bad injectors usually cause driveability problems when accelerating, not decelerating.

It could be something like a fuel cut solenoid or circuit, it is really difficult to diagnose without experiencing the conditin.

$600 to replace the torque converter sounds pretty reasonable. Let us know if you come up with other symptoms.

Reply to
Ray O