Dealer says OEM part Doesn't exists! WTF!?

I need a new front hood weatherstrip for my 1998 Corolla. Called Dealer and they special ordered. When I went to pick it up, it was the wrong one. They had the "Radiator Seal", which is seal behind the weatherstripping ( It has a fold in it ). The one I need has 13 grommet holes and is mounted right on the front edge of the hood. The Parts guy didn't know what I was talking about, and it didnt show up on their computer. We went outside and I showed him where it originally was on my car ( mine is long gone ). He still couldn't find a part # and nobody else makes it. I'll have to fabricate my own weatherstripping for the front of the hood, otherwise water gets in underneath and will get in behind the headlights and up into the hood latch!

Reply to
stevelibert

Try another dealer. Dealership parts departments sometimes use aftermarket parts software suppliers that may be missing a part, or the parts counterman does not know where to look for the part.

Reply to
Ray O

parts software suppliers that may be missing a part,

Ahhhhhhhh! Thank you Ray O.

That must be what TOYOTA OF BUENA PARK in California did.

There are 3 Dealerships near me and the BP parts department was my favorite for years. But these days trying to order parts there sucks when it's not a problem for the others.

Dan

Reply to
Danny G.

I do not if Toyota parts diagrams still have this idiosyncrasy, but some parts are not listed where you would think they would be. For example, the parts counter man might have looked at the drawing of the hood to look for the weatherstrip, when it is shown with the fenders or radiator support instead. I'm not saying this is the case, but an experienced Toyota parts counter man knows where to look for this stuff.

Reply to
Ray O