1992 Toyota Corolla Startup Problems

I was on the freeway, and my RPM was going crazy boosting up and down. My service engine check light came on, I pulled over to the side and I couldn?t start my car up anymore. Does anyone know what this could be? It?s the first time something like this happened.

Reply to
nathan-lee

The first thing to do is to pull the trouble codes from the computer.

Reply to
Ray O
Reply to
nathan-lee

Sorry to sound stupid but what is a valve basket? I also have a 92 Corolla with a very small oil leak but otherwise runs fine. Simple but good dependable transportation.

Reply to
RnR

I think he's referring to the sparkplug wells in the valve cover.

On a twincam engine the sparkplugs are between the two camshafts and sit in individual tubular cups, sealed at top (valve cover) and bottom (top of the cylinder head) with gaskets or O-rings. If the O-rings start seeping oil into the cup, or the cup is cracked or damaged, the oil can coke up from the heat, carbon track into a high-resistance leakage path, and short out the plugs at the ceramic.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman