1MZFE service

Hello Toyota groupies, I am working on a 95 Lexus ES300 with the 1MZFE engine. This is my first encounter with this particular engine, and I need some info from more experienced persons. The mileage on the car is 220,000 and the last time the timing belt was changed was at 93,000.

I intend to do the following: Timing belt, water pump, Valve cover gaskets (leaking), and the usual tune-up items plugs, filters etc. So far I have removed the timing covers, setup the marks and removed the old belt. After taking out the nuts and bolts holding in the water pump, I realized that the black metal plate behind the cam gears is blocking the pump from coming out. I tried holding the front exhaust cam at the flats with a 15/16 wrench while trying to break the 17mm bolt on the cam gear, but is rock hard and doesn't budge.

Is there anything special about this bolt that I should know about? Lefthand thread? Does anyone have any tricks to renoving the water pump without removing that metal plate?

Any advice or additional tips are greatly appreciated. Inshan

Reply to
quirry