2000 Avalon won't start when low on gas

Hey everyone,

I have a problem with our 2000 Avalon XL. The car runs great but when it gets low on gas (less than a quarter tank) it occasionally won't continue to run after starting. The car starts then dies. Sometimes you can rev it up and it will stay running. After two or three starts it runs fine and won't do it again for a couple of weeks.

The problem has never occured in the driveway. It only occurs after short stops and occasionally after work (sits 8 hours).

Its never died while underway.

Thanks for your help. Darren

Reply to
Darren

I don't see a question in the post but if you're wondering how to get it fixed, I recommend that you take it to a dealership and park it overnight so that they can experience the condition. If I were at the dealership, I would put a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel line under the conditions when the problem occurs and see if fuel pressure is bleeding down.

Reply to
Ray O

Just to finish out my question. I took the Avalon to the dealer after changing the fuel filter with no positive effect. The dealer had an experienced mechanic look at it and he determined that it was the idle control valve. He replaced the part (259.00) and cleaned the throttle body (69.00) out the door with gaskets and tax it cost me 459.00. I'm not sure if thats to much but its the first money I've spent on the car on a repair and it has 110k on it. With that said I think 459.00 every six years or 110k miles is a bargain...

Thanks Ray for your help. Darren

Reply to
Darren

As it turns out the "low on gas" part was not a factor. Darren

Reply to
Darren