Maxima 2000 - check engine light

I own a Nissan Maxima 2000. A few weeks ago, the check engine light came on. I went to Checkers and got the readout - the code was P1320 - I think the text that went with it was like "ignition or misfire". A few days after that, it went out and stayed out for at least a week. On friday, the light came back on - I was sitting at a red light, and the car sort of shuttered a little bit, then the check engine light, TCS ON, and one more light (forget text for this - it's no longer on) came on and stayed on for the duration. Subsequent startups and it's just the check engine light on.

I don't want to go in for unnecessary "repairs". Is this anything I can look into myself? I did notice that both times, I have filled up the tank the night before, and the next day, the light comes on. Can this be mere coincidence? The gas cap is on tight. Think I should try replacing it?

Thanks in advance,

Sean LeBlanc

Reply to
Sean LeBlanc

You probably have the bad infamous ignition coil problem.

Reply to
Jim

You definitely have to replaced the failed ignition coils. This is the common problem for 00-01 Maxima. No surperise if you have to replace it within 30k mile.

Alan

Reply to
Alan

Hello Folks,

I need help.

I bought my 2002 GLE in 11/2002. It already had 968miles on it when I bought it. I have noticed rust spots (mainly on the left side) in the inside roofing on the carpeting--from the driver side sun visor all over to the rear section on top of the left back seat.

I took it to the dealer's service people just yesterday. The lady told me it was not rust but soda spills. Beyond the patronizing and insulting response (I have observed and checked these spots for over a year), they simply attempted a cosmetic fix--brushing or polishing over the spots. The spots are back with a vengeance.

Please advise, suggest and counsel. What recourse do I have? The odometer now reads 26,180 miles.

I appreciate all input.

'BioDun J. Ogundayo, Ph.D

Reply to
Dr BioDun Ogundayo

Thanks for the feedback. Digging around on this, it doesn't look like replacing them is very hard to do. Is there a good place to get a good price on a replacement set of ignition coils? I saw one poster mention ebay of all places, but my search there comes up empty handed.

Thanks, Sean LeBlanc

Reply to
Sean LeBlanc

You can get them for < $60/each at

| ignition).

Reply to
Dave Stone

Does anyone know if they make aftermarket coils? Has Nissan fixed the problem with their OEM coils?

Thanks

(electrical | ignition).>

Reply to
houseslave

One more question - I've seen a few discussions mentioning that the coil for cylinder 2 is often the one that goes bad, and at least one person said they replaced ONLY that one, and the light never came on again. Has anyone done this? Is cylinder 2 on the front or the back? Are they clearly marked?

Also on the site above, what's the difference between left & right? i.e, here:

Thanks again,

Sean LeBlanc

Reply to
Sean LeBlanc

Your owner's manual has a picture showing the cylinder numbering scheme. Right = front, Left = rear. The front and rear coils are a different length.

Reply to
Dan

Why are you so certain it is rust? If you think it is from something they did... then why did you wait until just yesterday to take it in since you'd been observing for over a year? Nissan's warranty for cosmetic problems is pretty short as I recall (90 day/3K? 12Mo/12K?).

You could take the auto to a good detailer and have the interior detailed. i.e., a thorough interior cleaning. It shouldn't cost too much... maybe $50. They specialize in getting stains and spots out of upholstery and carpets... be sure to point out the spots on the headliner, though.

BuddyWh

Reply to
BuddyWh

I recently have had the same problem with my 2000 Maxima SE. The problem I have had is that when it is checked out on the computer, it only stated there was a coil misfire and does not state which one. Any recommendations on how to diagnose which coil is bad? Otherwise, the only other option is to play Russian Roulette and change them one at a time...

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dan wrote:

>>(electrical | ignition).> >

Benny