2000 Celica GT - Advice, Problems?

I am thinking about buying a 2000 Celica GT (4 cylinder) for my son to get back and forth from work and college. Any insite or advice about this car would be appreciated.

TIA

C5ya.

Reply to
C5Ya

Do you live in a snowy area? Not real good. I almost bought an '00, but the dealer wanted too much. I got an '05 Scion tC for $1000 more.

Not as comfortable as the Celica, though...

Reply to
Hachiroku

IMO the gen7 celica isnt a fun car to drive. But maybe you want that lol. Its very boggy feeling at lower revs (like a turbocharged car but without the benefit of a turbo) and feels fairly sloppy handling, though not bad as such - just not inspiring. Just feels a bit gutless. Light, efficient, safe. Not gonna be much good in snow as stated above.

On the plus side - comfy, looks fairly good (front looks lovely, rear looks like the back of an older vauxhall vectra from the UK - not a great look). Good for pulling the ladies - apparently.

Engine is meant to be very good, and the top end dual VVTi was used by Lotus in their elise to make an awesome little car.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

I liked the response of the car! I also like the seating position MUCH better than that in the Scion tC!!!

I'm thinking of putting the tC up for 'adoption' and shopping for a decent GT-S...

Reply to
Hachiroku

"Downgrade" to an imported ST205 celica alltrac, then see the grin on your face!

Ive not been in the GT-S, ive only been in the 140(?)hp version, though having spoken to those with a GT-S they confirm that the torque curve is very poor til about 5000rpm then it screams its nuts off. I prefer torque coming in much lower down - it makes the drive feel more spritely, though obviously for just trundling round its not really needed.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

And that's how they geared the Scion (geared it TOO low, IMHO!)

But, the Celica has a 6-speed and is MUCH more comfortable!

Reply to
Hachiroku