2000 Corolla new stereo getting engine (alternator?) noise

Did you try shielding both the car's wire bundle and the head unit's wire bundle with foil?

the car has several ECU's. The main engine ECU is probably in the right kick panel, and the one behind the radio may be for the air bags, transmission, or climate control.

Reply to
Ray O

-- snip -- snip -- >> if I pull the head unit out about 4-6 inches from it's resting place, the noise goes away. There is your answer for were the noise is picked up.

-- snip -- snip --

There is your answer for what area the noise is from.

-- snip -- snip --

Find the source of the noise in the accessory circuts.

-- snip -- snip --

Test accessory circuits.

-- snip -- snip --

Anything that has been added or worked on in the accessory circuit's or near them would be a good place to start. Including ground paths.

GL Dan

Reply to
Danny G.

I agree with you about taking it to a car stereo installation shop; however, unfortunately....money is the issue there. I fear an enormous charge and them ripping the entire system apart and starting from scratch, etc. Or......my other fear is they turn around and say they don?t know what the problem is, charge me an arm and a leg...then I?m still stuck and have to bring it to a garage to troubleshoot an electrical system issue and.....you know how that goes! Anyway....I am about out of tricks though and I think I may stop by a shop and see what they have to say. Thanks

"MD99" wrote: > Just following up with latest news. Still no fix. I tried > replacing each individual plug coil one at a time - no > difference to the problem. I also tried grounding everything > together to the same point again - no difference. I did some > messing around and pulled the head unit out to try once again > rearranging or rerouting some of the wires behind it. > Strangely enough...if I pull the head unit out about 4-6 > inches from it's resting place, the noise goes away. Now it > has sort of morphed into more of what I would call a > "radiated" noise. The noise is there with the engine off - > just accessory turned on. So....it seems that some electrical > component or wire bundle behind the head unit is generating an > "RF" leak and is somehow being picked up by the head unit. > Question is...how do you fix it? I tried shielding it with > tin foil but that makes no difference. Is there some kind of > lead shielding product I can purchase for this purpose? I > also tried running a ground wire directly to the head unit > chassis itself - no difference to the problem. I also tried > putting an additional filter on the Amplifier end - no > difference to the problem.

Reply to
MD99

Hi Everyone,

Just writing back to let you know that I finally fixed the problem by replacing the Pioneer head unit. I put a JVC in and it?s all set now. The Pioneer must have been hosed. Now it sounds awesome, with no noise at all. Thanks to all for your suggestions and help along the way.

"MD99" wrote: > Figured I'd post to see if anyone has any suggestions other > than what I've tried already. Installed a new stereo system > in 2000 corolla. New Pioneer head unit, component blaupunkts > in the front, polk audio speakers in the rear, profile amp > driving the four speakers, another profile amp driving a Dual > subwoofer box with 2 12" subs. Am getting engine noise > (whine, gets louder and faster as engine accelerates). I have > regrounded my amps to the chassis with a very tight connection > and 12 guage ground wire, scraped all paint away to bare metal > - have tried different ground points. Put in new battery with > 2 guage ground strap, scraped to bare metal ground point - > head unit is grounded to chassis same as battery point, but > have tried different points. Have upgraded to top-grade > twisted pair, oxygen free 12 gauge speaker wire, rerouted > speaker wire up through top of doors in panels, no other > cabling is near, upgraded signal (RCA) cables to top-grade > rockford-fosgate braided cables for optimum noise rejection, > also routed up through top of door panels away from any other > cabling - power cable to amps runs down through center of car > underneath carpet - have tried running power to amps directly > from an outside battery - no difference, have run power to > head unit directly from battery bypassing wiring through > firewall - no difference. My next step is to replace the > spark plugs and possibly the alternator itself. Any thoughts? > Suggestions? Thanks

Reply to
MD99