2002 Avalon ABS - clicking when cold

At times, when first driving away from home - first drive of the day - I hear a faint clicking at about 8 to 10 per second from the front... Sounds like coming from the brakes. However, there's absolutely no pulsing in the brake pedal, and after one time, it's done until the car sits for a while again. It happens at the end of a gradual hill were I have to stop for a stop sign. Anybody heard of this? Is it important? I would never have known it if I had the radio on at all - or even if was talking to someone in the car. It's not loud.

Ideas?

Reply to
Steve Henderson

When you first start up the vehicle, the computer for the ABS does a self-diagnosis. Part of this self-diagnosis is to check the function of the ABS actuator under the hood.

Yes.

Ray O

thanks, Ray - it never occurred to me that it might be a diagnostic - it happens sometimes as long as 1 minute after I drive away from my driveway, and always when I'm applying the brake for a soft stop.

Reply to
Steve Henderson

During the self-diagnosis, the system activates the ABS actuator and compares the speed from each wheel during the first few wheel rotations. If you want to see the ABS trouble light illuminate on the instrument panel, jack up the drive wheels, start the engine, and put the car in gear so the drive wheels spin in the air while the non-drive wheels rest stationary on the ground. The front and rear wheel speeds will not coincide and so it should illuminate an ABS trouble light because it thinks the rear wheel speed sensors are not giving the proper signal.

Reply to
Ray O