2002 Toyota Corolla 1zz-fe 4 cylinder engine tick

Wondering what this noise is on my corolla. It only happens when I leave the car parked for a nearly a week like 4-7 days. I start it and it produces a ticking noise that is fairly clear and loud. When I open the hood looking at the engine the noise seems to originate from the left side of the engine near the top like possibly from within the engine, or in the timing chain and serpentine belt area. Could anyone with experience with these engines or Toyota's in general help me.

Reply to
jma1_edwards

@jma1 snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com,

I don't have a factory users manual for mine yet. But this problem sounds strangely familiar. Assuming the Corolla's use hydraulic lifters I would suspect them (one of them) first. Collapsed lifters can take a while to show up. Dunno your level of experience, a hydraulic lifter sits between the camshaft and the valve stem rests in the other side. Oil in the lifters can leak out causing the clicking sound you're hearing, they will replenish themselves while driving. Thats the collapsed lifter slapping on the valve stem and camshaft lobe.

Hope this helps. Keep da faith :)

============== If it works Don't fix it ================

Reply to
EP