2003 Corolla...Help

My beloved Corolla is starting to give me problems. It's going to the shop on Friday...but what do I tell them?

It starts fine, runs great...however, within the past 2 weeks....gas mileage at about 20 mpg, when I apply the brakes from a high speed, or while turning, a great crunching sound from the front of the car. There's no gas leak, no gas smell. These things are probably not connected, only about 26,000 miles on the car. What will they look for? Anyone?

Thanks,

Peggy

Reply to
mmward

A busted from axle, or, more like it, a CV joint. That would be my guess. May have taken a bearing with it.

Reply to
Supraman

Would seem to me that you'd have other issues if it were that...sounds like maybe a problem with a front brake... maybe dragging...

Reply to
Gord Beaman

You have a dragging brake caliper or you tend to ride the brake pedal, wearing it down. The poor mileage could be caused by a dragging brake caliper.

Reply to
Ray O

wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3154.bay.webtv.net... My beloved Corolla is starting to give me problems. It's going to the shop on Friday...but what do I tell them? It starts fine, runs great...however, within the past 2 weeks....gas mileage at about 20 mpg, when I apply the brakes from a high speed, or while turning, a great crunching sound from the front of the car. There's no gas leak, no gas smell. These things are probably not connected, only about 26,000 miles on the car. =A0 What will they look for? Anyone? Thanks, Peggy You have a dragging brake caliper or you tend to ride the brake pedal, wearing it down. The poor mileage could be caused by a dragging brake caliper.

Reply to
mmward

wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3152.bay.webtv.net... wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3154.bay.webtv.net... My beloved Corolla is starting to give me problems. It's going to the shop on Friday...but what do I tell them? It starts fine, runs great...however, within the past 2 weeks....gas mileage at about 20 mpg, when I apply the brakes from a high speed, or while turning, a great crunching sound from the front of the car. There's no gas leak, no gas smell. These things are probably not connected, only about 26,000 miles on the car. What will they look for? Anyone? Thanks, Peggy You have a dragging brake caliper or you tend to ride the brake pedal, wearing it down. The poor mileage could be caused by a dragging brake caliper.

Reply to
Ray O