2005 Echo - Rear Speaker

I have a 2005 Echo without the rear speaker. I've recently decided that I'd like to add some but still keep the factory installed CD/Radio. After some tinkering, I managed to remove the radio only to find that there was no obvious place to hook in new wires. This leads me to suspect that everything is already wired but then the question comes as to where do these wires terminate in the back of the car?

According to the radio, it's a Toyota 08600-980 / Fugitsu Ten

122001-57300151 There is one un-used plug in the back. I can't find any (free) information on this unit on the internet.

Thanks

Andrew B

Reply to
andrew

I'm not familiar with that radio, but I'm willing to bet if there is only ONE plug, it is NOT for speakers, or perhaps may be for a large (6X9) 'center channel' woofer. I'm afraid I can't say for sure. The best bet is just to replace the radio; I have gotten some GREAT deals on E-Bay. Run some wire to the rear of the car and add the new speakers that way.

Does the car have speaker grilles already installed in the rear? IS there a spot for one large speaker in the package shelf? Sorry I'm not much help; if nobody else answers with a definitive answer, I'll TRY to remember Tuesday and ask someone what the deal is with one of these cars.

What I did with my Tercel: there were cutouts in the rear deck for 5.25" speakers; I hung some 6.5's from underneath. I removed the rear package shelf and CAREFULLY cut the chipboard with a razor knife to clear the holes, WITHOUT cutting through the felt on the top side. Made for a neat 'stealth' speaker installation! Of course, I had a JVC head unit, and two amps; 65W per channel X 4 and a 200W sub in the trunk.

Cars like these sound great when you install some decent components!

I will try to remember to get the information you seek. But, if your radio is only 2 channels, then there won't be connections for 2 more speakers, and DON'T wire the new speakers in parallel, or you'll be buying that new headunit!

Reply to
Hachiroku