2006 Corolla airbag light

I bought the car new about 2 weeks ago. I traded in a 1985 Volvo 240 DL sedan that I had for 6 years so I'm not used to all this airbag stuff. Anyways..I noticed that there is a front passenger light that says "Airbag" that stays on all the time when the key is on. There are also other lights in this cluster that are not lit up ("Off", "On", front seatbelt). According to the owners manual it is not supposed to be on. I talked to a mechanic at the local dealer and he said the same thing. Car is parked and key in "On" position: If I sit in the front passenger seat (no seat belt) the "Airbag" light stays on and the "On" light comes on. The "On" light goes out when I get out of the seat. "Off" light never comes on. If the seat is empty and I buckle the seatbelt the "Airbag" light stays lit and the "Off" light comes on also. Any clues as to what is going on here?

Reply to
Snowflake06

It is broken. Get it fixed at the dealer. That is what warrantee's are for.

Reply to
Art

Read the owners manual in glove box to see if this is proper function - if not a simple warranty issue.

Reply to
Wolfgang

The owner's manual will explain the on and off operation of the airbag. My sister and her husband had the same issue with their Sienna. Reading the manual clarified this for them. Perhaps it will clarify it for you too.

Reply to
Viperkiller

I don't have a 2006 corolla, but if the air bag light is on my dash, I would have the car being serviced by a competent dealer.

Reguardless if a person is in or out of the drivers seat, all the safety devices should work. Are they planning on people to seroiusly start driving from the back seat now? :confused:

later,

Tom @

Tom The Great